Por-15 ? ? ?

-

1994rm250

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first time using por-15 gloss black i have been scraping and wire wheeling the front wheel wells of my duster And it looks AMAZING !!!! I was wondering what you guys think of it and some one said i need some kind of Another Por-15 product to put over it so i can prime and paint over the Por-15 Paint .. if you can understand what i just said ... thanks angelo

lets see some pictures ? ?

If it's clean bare metal.......epoxy prime the bare metal and paint it like the rest of the car.

I dont care for it on clean metal

POR Is great stuff and a great time saver, You don't have to clean the metal bear to make it look great.
Best thing is to call them In N.J were they make it and ask for a tec. They do have a chassie black for a top coat. The bse POR will haze over without a top coating.
GEORGE!!
Hey guys this is my first time using por-15 gloss black i have been scraping and wire wheeling the front wheel wells of my duster And it looks AMAZING !!!! I was wondering what you guys think of it and some one said i need some kind of Another Por-15 product to put over it so i can prime and paint over the Por-15 Paint .. if you can understand what i just said ... thanks angelo

lets see some pictures ? ?

I used POR-15 on all my frame sections, suspension and steering parts and front wheel wells and it worked fantastic. I also used it on my floor pan that wasn't rusty at all and it peeled off even though I prepped it with the metal etching stuff they recommend. So as rjsjea said it might not be the best to use on clean bare metal. If you do use it make sure and top coat it cause it's not UV resistant and will haze over.

I'm a bif fan of POR15 too! But my experience is like the others it doesn't stick well to metal that is not rusty. All you need to do is knock off the loose stuff.

I loved the stuff! I painted my entire trunk and floorboards as a precaution to rust.. And YES I bought the stuff they recommend to paint over it before I painted the car.. Worked GREAT !!! They say it'll seal pinholes and small badly rusted areas and that stuff gets like steel.

I have never tried PO15 before, I have been using some stuff called Rust Bullet. seems to work pretty good. POR 15 is like black primer isnt it?

I used Rust bullet after grinding some rust and painting RB over it, about a yr ago, seems to still be holding strong, except on the rear quarters, where there is rust behind the sheet metal too. Oh Well, one day that will be cut out.

i dont get what is ---it's not UV resistant and will haze over.

Some one was tell me about it being UV ?

and what is a top coat ? like paint over it or something

I had an old Black pick-up that was rusting around the windshield. I covered it with POR15 Gloss Black. It looked so good I figured I would just leave it the way it was. After 6 months or so the gloss was gone and it looked like flat black paint. Several years latter when I sold the truck for parts it was still flat black but it was also still keeping the rust at bay.

Just like the instructions say if you are going to expose it to the sun you need to top coat it. After using in the trunk of the Barracuda back around 99 I used the rest to paint my steel bulkhead that I had been wire brushing and painting with rustoleum yearly. I used the POR primer and a red hardware store brand enamel over it. That was back in 99, 10 years or New England winters and summers and I have not touched it since.

BTW, when I did the trunk of the Cuda back in 99 it had been recommended to me to let the paint dry to the point that you could touch it lightly without it sticking to your finger (about 6 hours) then dust it over with rattle can primer. I did that, then used primer sealer, then the Sublime urethane over that. Again 10 years and nothing has chipped or lifted.

POR 15 is like black primer isnt it?

I don't know if you'd call it a primer but you do use it on bare metal. It's much better than any primer I've used. It totally seals out the air from outside so encapsulate the item so oxygen can't get to it and cause it to rust. I guess it's more like an epoxy because It will fill in little pinholes like Wyoduster said. Here's an example of how good it is. The fellow that told me about it is an old ratrodder and he said what convinced him of how good it neutralizes and encapsulates rust is he had a banister going down into the basement of his house that kept rusting and he said he tried everything on it. The longest it lasted was 4 yrs. when he took it out and sandblasted it and immediately primed it with automotive primer then painted it. 4 yrs. later it was starting to rust again. (Humid basement). By then he had found out about POR-15 and this time took it out and wire brushed the old paint off and used the metal cleaner and prep on it and painted it with POR-15 and he told me it had been 10 yrs. since he did that and it still had no rust poping through. The stuff works. Another nice thing about it is you can paint it on with a brush and it flows out so nice that after it dries it looks like it was sprayed on.

so i can directly paint over the POR-15 ? with reg primer and base coat clear coat or single stage if i would like to ?

Yes just do as Dave said here.

BTW, when I did the trunk of the Cuda back in 99 it had been recommended to me to let the paint dry to the point that you could touch it lightly without it sticking to your finger (about 6 hours) then dust it over with rattle can primer. I did that, then used primer sealer, then the Sublime urethane over that. Again 10 years and nothing has chipped or lifted.

POR-15 has a metal prep you are suppose to use before you paint it on. They also recommend painting a top coat that they have, for any POR-15 that will be in direct sun light. I have use this and it works great.

POR-15 has a metal prep you are suppose to use before you paint it on.

That's true but I found even when I used metal prep on clean non rusted metal it didn't stick good. I did use it on some sandblasted metal and it worked ok though. It just don't stick well to clean smooth stuff even if you use the metal prep.

The POR metal prep is nothing more than diluted Phosphoric Acid which you can get for considerably less at the local hardware store or as metal etch at the local autobody store.

BTW, I have used POR's engine enamel on a rusty block and it held up just as well as the POR15. I guess it should the kit is a can of POR15 with your choice of engine color enamel that goes over the POR 15 without any prep.

I also used their POR20 header coating. This is a brite aluminum finish and it works better than any high temp paint I have ever tried. Unlike PORs other products this does not go over rust so if you have a used set of rusty headers you need to remove the rust first.

awsomeeeeee yeh i deff gotta buy the metal prep i dont now have that but i wasnt painting over rust anyway its all sand'd and wire wheel'd clean'd metal.. and yeh i do also need the top coat .

Hey Angelo, the "UV" is Ultra Voilet" light that is in sunlight that damgaes skin and will cause cancer. It's used in a verity of applications to cure items, like teeth fillings, pain, powercoat, etc......

The POR-15 has a few of there products that are not sensitive to it and need no top coat. Some of there paints need top coat, which is a protecterant that stops or slows the UV damge.

I used POR-15 on my cars floor when I took out the carpet to clean up what I knew was going to be rusty. It did indeed seal up pin holes. Dried nice and level and glossy. They say you can hit it with a hammer when dried. Well, I'm that guy that has to test these things and I found it to be rock hard and withstood repeated blows with my baby sledge hammer in my attempts to damage it.

Don't bother wasting your money on POR-15 if you are not going to use it on rust. If it is clean bare metal just clean it, prime and paint it with a good quality paint.

As said above POR stands for Paint Over Rust. I used it to repair and finish a radiator support on my old 77 corvette. It worked beautifully where the support had some major surface rust and looked near new

-
Back