Port my current M1 single plane or install the RPM Air Gap?

-
Here's a thread showing someone welding up a M1: Fixed my M1 / Strip Dominator
That is the direction I'd like to go, along with having my Eddie's ported, not for all out power but to optimize what is there. I mean who doesn't want another twenty Clydesdales and Twenty Thoroughbreds across the field of revs. It ran crisp, very responsive in a gear or two up from what you would expect it to be happy. When I asked this question I was certain someone would have had real world back to back knowledge maybe even dyno numbers. Thanks again for that link.

Perhaps this will answer some questions?

Black marker dots are where the standard intake holes line up on the small port W5.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is an old article dulcich did for intake manifolds. I think it was a roughly 450hp 360.
The rpm airgap did about 25lb tq better than the single planes around 3-4k rpm and had the same hp until almost 6k rpm. After that the single plane was a little better.

There is an old article dulcich did for intake manifolds. I think it was a roughly 450hp 360.
The rpm airgap did about 25lb tq better than the single planes around 3-4k rpm and had the same hp until almost 6k rpm. After that the single plane was a little better.
I remember that article. I have saved it.
From what I remember, the cam used was a stout quick lifting ramp but still smallish for a single plane. Honestly speaking, in a stock stroke small block, a single plane is something to be used when power below 3500 is of no concern. The M1 and such single planes are best used with a minimum of a 3500+ converter and hopefully a light weight car.

IMO, best to use a single plane with a minimum cam of 260@050 duration and let’er rip!

(Spelling/Grammar edit)

Last edited:
I remember a member “Nat” (who hasn’t been here for quite a few months) had his well documented stroker with an Air Gap and swapped to a Victor, swore up and down the Victor was better based on seat of the pants impressions, made countless posts in other threads stating as such. Then it went on the dyno and made barely a handful more HP but lost a sizable amount of TQ. Was thoroughly disgusted and haven’t heard much about the engine since.

408 Stroker

As to level of porting on both intakes it’s unclear.
He swore up and down the Victor blew the AG away and in fact it wasn’t the case. For his setup and what he had the AG was better. Changes would have to be made in order for the Victor to shine.

-
Back