Fixed my M1 / Strip Dominator

-

skrews

Reaction score
Had this intake for a number of years, but could never bring myself to try it. I like the tall swept runner design, but I hated the hermaphrodite spread bore square bore carb flange deal, not to mention the terrible transition from the carb flange to the plenum.
When Jim LaRoy posted that beautifully reworked Strip Dominator it inspired me to rework mine.
1228171419.jpg
1228171419a.jpg

Instead of milling down the carb flange and building a plate like Jim I took the easy although not as trick route and welded up the carb flange.
0106181549.jpg

Next I milled out the plenum and carb flange.
0109181301.jpg

Coming along nicely. You can see the tremendous difference from the finished side vs the unfinished side.
0115181520a.jpg
0115181521.jpg
0115181521a.jpg
0115181521b.jpg

Will post more as I finish up.

Last edited:
WOOOOOOOO!

And the fun begins! WOW!

Edit....

Did t Holley have a square flanged strip dominator?

Nice work.

Never understood the hermaphrodite (LMAO) carb flange.

Nice work.

Never understood the hermaphrodite (LMAO) carb flange.

There was a reason for it, but I can't remember it right now. There are also some W-5 intakes with that flange on it. A buddy has one.

If I think about it long enough I may remember why they did it.

I'm sure it was because so many Mopar guys ran the Thermoquad back in the day. The irony is that the M1 duel plane has a standard 4150 flange. *** backwards if you ask me.

I did one with Moroso A-B putty.

...one semi circular fill broke off. I absolutely lucked out...Hung a valve and push rod slipped out. No harm. We lapped the valve seat and that was a few years ago.

First and last I will do with putty.

12_22_10sm2-jpg.jpg

6626415-12_22_10Sm1.jpg

Last edited:
As it is cast, it is not the best flowing intake for the fuel. The MP book has instructions for danms to be installed with specific sizes and placements. While this improves the intake, how well it does I don’t know. I’m not sure of MP doing extensive testing on how well the air and fuel flow path and quality was before or after the fixes from the book.

The M1 can and does make very good power for its old & outdated design being based off of the Holley Strip Dominator. It was the best there was for a long time. Modification to it has been show before and here with great results that only the end user can decide to use or not. The more power you make from the engine the more the mod will help. I call it a graduating scale.

@yellow rose Yes, I have a W5-M1 like that. Identical to the regular head unit.

I agree it was designed with the TQ pad for certain racers. Home grown racers and street warriors also come to mind since the TQ was a capable carb if you could fiddle with it.

Something I want to try myself.

Did you find any decent gains with the work?

No before and after. I think the idle quality got ever so slightly worse without them. Just a tinge. Could be power of suggestion. I removed all the putty after that incident.

I went M1 over Victor for the curved runners. thought it would be a little more street friendly, shift HP/TQ little lower.

Last edited:
As it is cast, it is not the best flowing intake for the fuel. The MP book has instructions for danms to be installed with specific sizes and placements. While this improves the intake, how well it does I don’t know. I’m not sure of MP doing extensive testing on how well the air and fuel flow path and quality was before or after the fixes from the book.

The M1 can and does make very good power for its old & outdated design being based off of the Holley Strip Dominator. It was the best there was for a long time. Modification to it has been show before and here with great results that only the end user can decide to use or not. The more power you make from the engine the more the mod will help. I call it a graduating scale.

I agree it was designed with the TQ pad for certain racers. Home grown racers and street warriors also come to mind since the TQ was a capable carb if you could fiddle with it.

I got a new one in the box also.

pict2142a-jpg.jpg

pict2146-jpg.jpg

@autoxcuda

Ooooooo.... shiiiiiiiinnnnnyyyyy
W5’s correct? Just double checking. Looks like one.

How did you like the M1 vs Victor?
Was the M1 better on the street?

Are you referring to the Holley Strip Dominator with dams? My recollection is that the Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic needed the "popsicle stick" mods to work well with the TQ. Don't know how it was with a square bore Holley carb. But the Strip Dominator replaced the LD340 and modified Offy intake as a better intake and not needing those mods, particularly in SS. I've got the book somewhere at home.

FWIW, when I ran a W-2 360, I found that the W-2 Victor had a plenum floor quite a bit deeper than the W-2 Holley Strip Dominator. I would assume that the same applies to the standard head versions. I never tried the Victor on my IHRA crate combo, but have been very happy with the results provided by the Holley Strip Dominator. I figure the Holley was better suited for my rpm range with it's smaller plenum even though I believe both have a similar rpm "rating".

Last edited:
@Locomotion

Negative, the M1 with the popsicle sticks for damms. Not the Holley.
Popsicle sticks on the Offy as well. I can’t visualize witch Offy, because they offered square and Spreadbore versions.

I also don’t remember reading that it was needed for one carb and not the other. Just saying.... perhaps what ever carb was used? I don’t know but assumed a Holley was the carb since that would be the carb to race with unless rules dictated otherwise.

Other than that, how is the TQ experiment working?

I have an older strip dominator that came with w2 heads from an old super stock guy and it has the popcycle stick with epoxy.
He told something I think like too much fuel or something like that ?

@Locomotion

Popsicle sticks on the Offy as well. I can’t visualize witch Offy, because they offered square and Spreadbore versions.

I also don’t remember reading that it was needed for one carb and not the other. Just saying.... perhaps what ever carb was used? I don’t know but assumed a Holley was the carb since that would be the carb to race with unless rules dictated otherwise.

I would have put stakes , drilled into the carb base sideways to keep the a-b epoxy from coming loose. It is good stuff if u make something for it to adhere to. I have used it in sbc race type heads where we burned thru the runner walls porting. Also just used a little in the runner roofs of a wieand intake I`ve been playing with, the "supposedly standard" ports were bigger than my cnc standard ports. I did make provisions for it to hold on to the roofs . I would like to have an M 1 for a r/b to do what u did too ! I like them also. Let us know how it all turns out !

I would have put stakes , drilled into the carb base sideways to keep the a-b epoxy from coming loose. It is good stuff if u make something for it to adhere to. I have used it in sbc race type heads where we burned thru the runner walls porting. Also just used a little in the runner roofs of a wieand intake I`ve been playing with, the "supposedly standard" ports were bigger than my cnc standard ports. I did make provisions for it to hold on to the roofs . I would like to have an M 1 for a r/b to do what u did too ! I like them also. Let us know how it all turns out !
Drill the intake for stakes through the pop sticks? And/Or for the A/B epoxy to grip onto?
Thanks

t2ec16vhjgoffv3gimvnbsio6qopug-60_57-jpg.jpg
@Locomotion

I would think that if the M1 single plane was patterned after the Holley Strip Dominator, there wouldn't be a need for popsicle sticks with the TQ on either one. I don't recall info on the M1 in SS.
Offy had several intakes, but the Port-O-Sonic was the choice to modify for SS and a TQ. Perhaps the dams were needed because of the adapter. But the single plane M1 and Holley Strip Dominator had provisions for both.

Finally got my Aspen 360 back in and hope to have it out by next month. TQ on OEM intake.
It sat for almost 2 years so no testing opportunities. It did run the index with no tuning in 2016.

WOOOOOOOO!

And the fun begins! WOW!

Edit....

Did t Holley have a square flanged strip dominator?

Yes they did, I bought 1 in 1981 for my 340, added a 2" open spacer and an 850DP, picked up 2/10ths in the 1/4 over a 750DP.

@autoxcuda

Ooooooo.... shiiiiiiiinnnnnyyyyy
W5’s correct? Just double checking. Looks like one.

How did you like the M1 vs Victor?
Was the M1 better on the street?

Yes. NOS W5 intake.

I never had/ran a Victor to compare.

Last edited:
I think fb was meaning to stake the epoxy where he filled in the area for the spread bore.

He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking back we also figured that was the way to go. But if/when I fix this, I'll just weld it up like OP. Just a bad vibe at this point.

-
Back