portable garages or carports?

-

QuintinMotorCompany

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a portable carport or garage , its 20ft wide , 36 ft long and 12ft tall, I am looking to keep my parts and some cars in there, has anybody built a wooden frame or something to support a cars weight ? Thanks , even if you own one but don't have a foundation, post some pics, :blob: Thanks

I'm interested as well I've been needing more garage space and have considered one of these im not sure how well they hold up though

I build portable steel buildings for a local company .
The ones I build are either on pier blocks or pads .
Not all portable steel buildings are equal .
So if you go that route do your homework and research them .
If you want some pics pm me and I can email you some of ones I've built .
Jim

I got the HF 10X17 "portable garage" (poles and a tent!) and it held up for about 3 years then it rotted. The cover is available alone to replace, but a better option would be to get some surplus canvas ($$$!) and cover with that. Should last much longer. Im going to clad my old frame (suprisingly sturdy) with some cheap strandboard and roof tile it for a semi permanent structure as its already staked in the ground.
If I were to start again, I would pour A 4" slab and do up a real 2X4 braced structure but money IS an object so.....of course I could just clean out my garage...;-)

im going a fabric one not steel

I cannot imagine this holding up for long in VT winters. "Up here" in Idaho our winters vary wildly. They vary from very mild with very very little snow, to once in awhile quite a bit of snow. Even being careful, a fabric port only lasts a VERY few years, going out every night and brushing snow off, etc.

(I actually had one, and replaced the tarp. I don't remember, 3 years?)

I got "lucky." I fell into a BUNCH of material left over from warehous shelving and welded up two, one for the front, one for the back. This did cost me a bit, and steel roofing is not cheap. But I don't have to worry about snow, either. However, neither is what I would call fully enclosed. I used pressure treated 2 x 6 doubled for the "foundations." By the way, here "the code" does not address "portable" buildings with no permanent wiring, plumbing, or foundations. I believe there's a size limit, so I hope they won't notice, LOL.

attachment.php

After a bit of a windstorm

vcuclz.jpg

Fabbing up the frames for the backyard. The material is about 8', 2" channel, "just right" for these frames. I welded two together for the horizontal ties

attachment.php

Considering the time, money, and lack of maintenance, and disregard for need to remove snow, this was definately one of my better ideas!!

attachment.php

Here is my 16x24 on pier and beam, resting really on cinder blocks, works perfect with 2x6 floor joists it handles the weight with zero problem!

Cost about $5000.00

John B.

Attachments

• P1011578.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 652
  • P1011583.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 658
  • P1011589.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 638
Three years ain't bad has anyone tried anchoring one to black top?

Fishthatkills that's a sweet building you got I really like that..

Around here they have something like a Carolina Carport which is basically sort of like 67Dart273's build but a true A Frame style. Been meaning to check about it as they say "only" $695 installed. Gotta be a catch like maybe needs to be on a concrete slab.
!

Here is the style of car ports that is common around here. They also have them that are enclosed on three sides with a garage door on the fourth side.

Attachments

• Carports-Metal-Steel-Oklahoma-OK.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 651
I have a 24 wide 41 deep and 7/8ft side walls I forget. I am in New York and it come from the Carolinas. 5800 Installed. No concrete just gravel floor. I went extra for the vertical roof style, enclosed back sides and front eve. It is a very well built building, 2ft plus of snow didn't affect it one bit this winter( I did pull some off with the snow rake and few warm days snow slid right off)

Will have to get pictures once I get back home

I also have a 18x21 car port like one picture above. It has been 3-4 years with no problems through New York winters. Only problem having the roof metal like the one pictured with the 55 the snow won't slid off because of how the metal is run. With the vertical roof the structure is made much better.

Basic car port with tarps for the side. This could be done all the way around and there would be no issue for the top rotting out.

Attachments

• 100_1051.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 613
The dealers in this area that sell the portable carports, sell both styles. The vertical roof type are a little higher, but IMO worth it.

The nice thing about this style of car port is that you can start with the basic and finish it in stages.

my neighbor bought just the frame from the carport people, used some longer square tubing to make it longer and taller to make it the size he needed, and bought his own corrugate as money allowed. eventually i helped him weld framework on either end to support a roll up door, and a steel personnel door

cheap cheap. i think he payed $500 for the frame kit.

i have a stick built 27 x 31 pole barn, then used the walls as part of the form to pour the concrete floor. Sure this one i have completed with insulation an 18' roll up door, concrete, and electric it ran $10K in materials, concrete , and electrician not including permits, but on a smaller scale minus insulation, and electric if its storage only it can be done cheap. heres timeline pix of my shop.

Attachments

• garage 26.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 515
  • garage 25.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 497
  • garage 21.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 504
  • garage 24.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 511
  • garage 14.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 509
  • garage 11.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 501
  • garage 3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 512
  • garage 27.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 483
Uggggg,
Time to get more real estate, I need an outbuilding so bad but just don't have the room where I'm at. Two car garage full and another car in my mom's. I even tried leasing garage space from some of the ol bats in my neighborhood but had no takers. Those verticle roof buildings look nice. Moparmat and fishthatkills , Awesomeness!!!

Uggggg,
Time to get more real estate, I need an outbuilding so bad but just don't have the room where I'm at. Two car garage full and another car in my mom's. I even tried leasing garage space from some of the ol bats in my neighborhood but had no takers. Those verticle roof buildings look nice. Moparmat and fishthatkills , Awesomeness!!!

Thank you Hemioutlaw. When i bought my home i had specific criteria in mind. I needed a 2 car garage existing for daily drivers and or finished projects, alley access, and a large enough back yard to put a building up with some space in it, and still have a bit of yard left. Oh and it needed to not be in a flood plain, or flood zone, had to be in my price range, and in a decent neighborhood.

Tall order, but after a long time looking i finally found my house 12 years ago. First order of business was upgrading the breaker box in the garage from 125amp to 200 amp. Once the shop went up, i dug a trench from the house to the shop, my electrician wired in a 100 amp sub panel for me,

Oh its got lots of stuff in there now, but i have 2 project cars in there, and room to service another vehicle if i need to. A buddy of mine just bought 2acres out in the country. He and his wife are building a barndominium. Basically a sprayfoam insulated steel building and converting half the inside to a house with the other half as a large garage. Check out barndominiums on the net. Nothings more plain badass than to roll out of bed, and have a door to your shop right there. Plus doing this outside the city limits you can skirt a few taxes.

-
Back