Portable garages?

-

shadango

Reaction score
Hi all...

Lost my storage for one of my toys (92 Dakota) and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the "portable garages" out there.

I know there are cheap one and not so cheap ones.....the one I am considering is this one....

http://www.mdmshelters.com/extendedstorage.php

Any thoughts?

Shadango, Where have you been? Haven't seen you around for a while. Check MeMikes unit out. Looks very nice and well worth $200. There's pics on here somewhere. Good hearin from ya.
Small Block

in my opinion the rounded roof is better. i found that the smaller ones are better then the larger one also. the larger ones seem to catch too much wind and it tears up the zippers. i have one that has 3 cars in it. the main part of the tent is fine but the front and back are torn up. its about 4 years old. now i have a smaller one that like 12x12 and that has really held up great. if i did it all over again i would buy three separate 20x12 tents for the cars.

this is the brand i have.. built very nicely. http://www.shelterlogic.com/garages/

garages-main.jpg

I got one of the ones they sell at Costco for $200 and it works ok just make sure it is anchored down really well if it's exposed to the wind and get some extra bungees for the bottom tie downs. Kev

Shadango, Where have you been? Haven't seen you around for a while. Check MeMikes unit out. Looks very nice and well worth $200. There's pics on here somewhere. Good hearin from ya.
Small Block

Hey there Small Block....

I have been around...lurking mostly.....lost of "crap" coming around right now.....struggling with the tranny issues with my car, health issuesd with the wife, some kid hit my barracuda the other day....no paint damage but scuffed the bumper.....just "life" stuff...ya know?

This storage thing really threw me though.......didnt want to have to think about it but I guess its better that it happened now than in mid january....LOL

Make sure that you have a solid (or plastic film) floor and also some sort of ventalation, otherwise you will have a huge rust problem.

in my opinion the rounded roof is better. i found that the smaller ones are better then the larger one also. the larger ones seem to catch too much wind and it tears up the zippers. i have one that has 3 cars in it. the main part of the tent is fine but the front and back are torn up. its about 4 years old. now i have a smaller one that like 12x12 and that has really held up great. if i did it all over again i would buy three separate 20x12 tents for the cars.

this is the brand i have.. built very nicely. http://www.shelterlogic.com/garages/

garages-main.jpg

Its the "wind catching" part I am worreid about.

My tent would be installed with one side buffered by a wodden fence and the other buffered by a large brick wall and hillside....so I am hoping it is semi-protected in that regard.....my biggest concern is that the only place I can install it is in the vicinity of trees...I know one falling branch could ruin it.....but I dont have many options.:angry7:

Hi all...

Lost my storage for one of my toys (92 Dakota) and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the "portable garages" out there.

I know there are cheap one and not so cheap ones.....the one I am considering is this one....

http://www.mdmshelters.com/extendedstorage.php

Any thoughts?

That one you are looking at looks very nice and strong :cheers:
Here is the one I picked up at Sams for $200 and it held up to heavy snow and two real bad ice storms, I like the 4 window and booth ends open to drive through.
I got lucky to get one that is almost the same color of my house :happy10:
As you can see it has a side door to walk in and it has 1 1/2'' pipe holding it all together

let%20it%20rain%20014.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20019.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20026.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20059.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20060.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20150.jpg

storm 092.jpg

to old 77 033.jpg

Make sure that you have a solid (or plastic film) floor and also some sort of ventalation, otherwise you will have a huge rust problem.

I was going to use some sort of plastic...maybe tyvek house wrap?...under either plywood or gravel and 2'x2' patio stones.....

The tents can be vented using what appear to be plastic house gable vents....not sure how they afix to the tents, but the look exactly like the deals you buy at Home Dept for $10...they want $30 each....LOL

I was also thinking of maybe trying to install some sort of fan to move the air around.....

Rust is exactly what I am trying to prevent.....

Dang, wish I could build a real garage...nothing that a lot of money wouldnt fix....LOL

Memike.....

Thats really decent looking for $200!

How long have you had it? Does it bolt together?

What kind of anchors come with it?

I HAVE units fron both shelder logic and MDM. The MDM is better built and tarps are heavier. i have the mdm standard garage 12x20x8 .the garge style has more interrior room than the round. the tricks for wind are. do face the ends directly into the wind and repair any small holes before they rip.

That one you are looking at looks very nice and strong :cheers:
Here is the one I picked up at Sams for $200 and it held up to heavy snow and two real bad ice storms, I like the 4 window and booth ends open to drive through.
I got lucky to get one that is almost the same color of my house :happy10:
As you can see it has a side door to walk in and it has 1 1/2'' pipe holding it all together

I "had" one like that, any snow over 8in it started to sag and had to brush if off ever few hours in a bad snowstorm.Then we got a real strong windstorm and the metal legs ended up knocking part of my neighbors chimney and then stuffed through there roof. Blew up and over a 12FT hedge never even touched the car and it ripped out steel anchors in the driveway.

I like the round one looks pretty sturdy

Well, I ended up with the house style made by MDMD in my link.

Put it together over the past several days and got it covered yesterday.

I think it will work.

It is anchored with these "duckbill anchors"....I had to dril 3 foot deep 1.25" holes, drive the anchors in and then pull up to set them.....seem REALLY sturdy.....aint coming out unless there is a tornado...LOL..At least I hope.

So now trying to decide what will hold up well under my truck, atv, etc.....I am going to lay down the heaviest mil plastic I can get....it will eb doubled up for most of the tent since they only sell the stuff in 8 foot wide pieces....thats ok.

Then was think OSB or plywood on top of that maybe. I had considered outdoor carpet but I think that on top of the plastic, on bumpy ground that will end up being too squirrely.

-
Back