Portable heaters.

-
The problem with any fuel heater, ANY. Kero, LP or natural gas

ALL produce "products of combustion" and lots of water, so if they are UNvented this all goes right into the occupied space

Worse, if you are doing something like bodywork or cleaning parts, there is a fire / explosion hazard, and also the chemicals you are using with your car mix and burn with the fuel (drafts right into the heater) and that to put it simply amplifies the effects of the chemicals. Cleaning agents, thinners, body putty, whatever it might be. You think headaches? THAT is headaches!!.

Water from combustion can be a problem. It will condense on colder objects, and will cause rust on anything unfinished.

The age old warning still applies "well ventilated space" for combustion heaters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infrared / radiant heaters. There IS a minor danger with those. Since they ARE radiant, sometimes people (who are cold) move them closer to get warmed, or set them someplace that they radiate say, "right into" the paint. In other words you need to be careful where you set them, else overheat / damage something nearby.

I MUCH prefer old school "fan" convection heaters. They are much safer, especially if then have a TIP SWITCH, something you should check for when buying.

you can make a heavy extension cord and just plug it in to your dryer outlet when you need it.
Those little 4800 watt units work good and have a thermostat.

Why not get an indirect fired heater? All the instant heat of propane without the fumes or headaches...

Attachments

• Portable heat.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 172
deisel and kerosene smell never goes away , car stinks ,close stink ,and now you take it in the house i use propain but $$$ can add up , I heat 3 old steel rims to keep run time down . those rims get real hot and i can move them around to keep air warm when i shut heater down . want to build a radiant for fire wood next year wood every where we get real efficiant in our ice shanties.

thats like the 1 i use called the little dragon there gr8 but likei said i like to heat something in front of them so i can make short runs last an hour . 17 for propane here
but those are the ticket

Why not get an indirect fired heater? All the instant heat of propane without the fumes or headaches...

Or to put it another way, "vented." Direct fired: unvented, indirect: vented

indirect / vented "is what heats your house" or I dearly hope.

Or to put it another way, "vented." Direct fired: unvented, indirect: vented

indirect / vented "is what heats your house" or I dearly hope.

True! In fact, you can take an un-vented combustion heater and make it a vented system by fabricating a tube-and-shell heat exchanger box for it. Keep the heater outside and direct the heated air from the exchanger through a duct to the indoors. All you need is a small fan to move the fresh air through the exchanger to the indoors. The combustion heat stays vented outdoors.

The cost to fabricate the heat exchanger is than $50 if you weld it up yourself. You can even use wood or coal as the combustion heat source in a 55 gal drum with the heat exchanger on top.

You know your going blind when you glance at forum tittles and your brain sees "Portable Headers" I'm thinking what the hell and who the hell uses portable headers. I had to laugh at myself being a dumb ***.

Just remember if there is a flame involved in the heating process, your consuming oxygen. Not to mention the by-products of incomplete combustion. Stay Safe!

I'm using electric also, ProFusion 5600W it does need a 220 outlet though so that might not work for you. Does a nice job for area I use in garage, red heater next to it is older one that thermostat quit working. Saw a U-tube video a guy converted it over to a wall thermostat by using a contactor & transformer to get it down to 120. It actually works! I'm showing the black ProFusion which is newer but I'm actually using the older red one (looks like a science project gone bad)

Attachments

• IMG_20151204_164120136.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20151204_164255605.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 129
I would just leave a door cracked and run the propane, electric heat is the most expensive heat you can use.

-
Back