Portable Receiver Hitch Winch

-

George Jets

1967 Dart 2 Door
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Had a 12 volt 2000 lb winch left over from a previous endeavor.

Decided to put it to use and make a Reciever Hitch Winch for the traveling van/tow vehicle.

20230116_170710.jpg

Screenshot_20230116-203433_Gallery.jpg

Never know all the uses.

The Ball Bolt has enough length to work as the fastener to the receiver insert.

Winch out a slightly stuck light car out of the snow on icey road conditions. Grab some good grip wheel chauks to grip the ice, and winch away.

Maybe a person needs a gradual pull on something, and a come-a-long is just a pain.

Lots of uses once it's made and set up.

☆☆☆☆☆

They are very handy. I built a receiver on my car trailer, and bought a HF winch. It has plenty of power but the drum is too small and you must CAREFULLY watch and level wind it, or the wire will jam in the drum cross ties. I also have a front receiver hitch on the 4WD converted RAM, and via solenoid, have a switched heavy cable back to the rear for using on either the RAM hitch or on the trailer

Don't forget a snatch block which will double pulling force

img_1043cs-jpg-jpg.jpg

img_1042cs-jpg-jpg.jpg

Don't forget to either ground the winch clear back to the battery, or else upgrade the battery to frame ground

The 2WD to 4WD.............

This was the donor truck. This is right after I winched the remains back on the trailer. This had the 2WD frame under it and no transmission, but otherwise it weighed the same as a 3/4T V10 pickup

img_3630cs-jpg.jpg

They are very handy. I built a receiver on my car trailer, and bought a HF winch. It has plenty of power but the drum is too small and you must CAREFULLY watch and level wind it, or the wire will jam in the drum cross ties. I also have a front receiver hitch on the 4WD converted RAM, and via solenoid, have a switched heavy cable back to the rear for using on either the RAM hitch or on the trailer

Don't forget a snatch block which will double pulling force

View attachment 1716036136

View attachment 1716036137

Thanks, never thought about having other receivers on other things to easily plug in and mount the winch to.

Good Idea

I would run one of these from the battery to the back of the truck

(In fact, I got on my my plow truck, to power my rear plow)

Put a quick connect on there and you can plug in your winch, or plug in a set of jumper cables or run power to a trailer or...

Put a quick connect on there and you can plug in your winch, or plug in a set of jumper cables or run power to a trailer or...

OK, that is interesting for raising and lowering your rear plow on your snow plow truck.

I previously used my electric winch on my Dune Buggy to raise and lower the 9' plastic snow plow blade.

Now I no longer have the Dune Buggy, but kept the winch.

Hence the Receiver Winch comes into play. It's so much fun making things that have a useful purpose.

Buggy Snow Plow.jpg

Buggy Plowing.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I did exactly the same thing. Replaced the very dependable, but too small winch on my trailer with a 9 ton. Welded a plate to a spare receiver tubing and mounted the old winch. Can chain the winch to a tree, garage wall, or use the receiver on the truck.
Most recent use was moving a car sideways on rollers that didn't want to move easily. Next use will be on a felled tree.

I did exactly the same thing. Replaced the very dependable, but too small winch on my trailer with a 9 ton. Welded a plate to a spare receiver tubing and mounted the old winch. Can chain the winch to a tree, garage wall, or use the receiver on the truck.
Most recent use was moving a car sideways on rollers that didn't want to move easily. Next use will be on a felled tree.

Good Stuff ^^^

Mine clips onto the tongue of my car dolly. I used DIY trailer spring hanger C brackets and heavy duty square profile "U" bolts.
Slips on, slips off.

HF sells a receiver adapter with a mount plate so you can bolt the winch on between your truck and trailer while the trailer is attached.

OK, that is interesting for raising and lowering your rear plow on your snow plow truck.

I previously used my electric winch on my Dune Buggy to raise and lower the 9' plastic snow plow blade.

Now I no longer have the Dune Buggy, but kept the winch.

Hence the Receiver Winch comes into play. It's so much fun making things that have a useful purpose.

View attachment 1716036145

View attachment 1716036146

☆☆☆☆☆

no, i dont use a winch for the rear plow (though my kids qaud is set up like your sandrail, with a winch)

i use a 2 way hydraulic pump, that is mounted under the bed
what i was trying to suggest is the way to wire it all up

HOLY COW!! I don't know how they can sell those that cheap!!! (Used to make wheelchair electronics, we used some of the big Anderson connectors)

HOLY COW!! I don't know how they can sell those that cheap!!! (Used to make wheelchair electronics, we used some of the big Anderson connectors)
i have no idea, i know they make it all themselves, and to order
so im sure they get a little bit of a bulk discount on materials, but they did seem rather affordable

all i can tell you, is i am happy with their product

Don't know if you guys are aware, but Anderson makes some HUGE connectors. Where I used to work we had an electric forklift, I think it was 350A or some such

-
Back