Ported 516’s with OVERsized intake valves

-
I just priced some race valves for a ford 2.08 1.60 extra long stem, all 16 for under $200.00. Very high quality parts, the guy I deal with is a great guy and I have never been disappointed.

Yeah they just ain't "that high" anymore.

Sorry guys the 2.18 just threw me off. I did have 516 heads with 2.14 1.81 on a 440 like 35 yrs ago. I forgot what the chambers on a 516/915 looked like. I will post better pics tomorrow but they are 516’s and I think the chambers have been opened up.
P5249866 Thanks for the part#, never seen or heard of that valve size in a BB mopar.
Learn something new every day

Last edited:
Just for educational purposes, they offered a 2.200" intake valve for stock heads, also. I bought a set way back before I knew any better.

Actually, it does.

The pics are very dark, but it appears to me as though someone took that edge where the chamber ends, and blended/feathered it to get rid of the step/edge.

I’d defer to the casting number though, instead of a few dark pics.
They are what they are.

View attachment 1715738993

View attachment 1715738995

View attachment 1715738997

20210518_082210.jpg

Just for educational purposes, they offered a 2.200" intake valve for stock heads, also. I bought a set way back before I knew any better.
Jeez, I guess I still don't know any better............

I put some MP 2.18’s in a set of 346 heads in the mid-90’s.

Oh-oh you guys. Where does that leave me with the 2.25" valves in my 906 heads?

And here is Mancini's go big or go home 2.19/1.88 set..............

Mancini Stainless Steel Valve Set - Single Groove

Last edited:
Jeez, I guess I still don't know any better............

Oh-oh you guys. Where does that leave me with the 2.25" valves in my 906 heads?

And here is Mancini's go big or go home 2.19/1.88 set..............

Mancini Stainless Steel Valve Set - Single Groove
Sorry Jim,
That wasn't a slam. What I was saying is I know better than to make a habit of putting big valves in a factory iron heads, and then crying in my beer when I try to get the bowls right and hit water.

Or, maybe not. I just did a set of 516's with a 2.165" intake, and a 1.650" exhaust for a stock stroke 383. Minimal work, but they actual flowed better than I was expecting. Mid 260's at .600", and as I recall, the exhaust wasn't too bad either.

FWIW, those 2.200" valves are still brand new, on the shelf, and the 452's they were intended for went over 320 cfm, so I guess they ain't so bad. All the cast iron dust in my lungs? Well, that's a different story.

Edit:

Oh, nuts. I just realized the 906 heads on my street car have 2.190"/1.810" valves. I'll just crawl back in my hole now.

Last edited:
I guess the 2.18 isn’t as unusual as these chambers. Looks like someone spend a few hours on these. Can you guys give me your best guess on how many CC’s these things probably are ? Thanks guys

Sorry Jim,
That wasn't a slam. What I was saying is I know better than to make a habit of putting big valves in a factory iron heads, and then crying in my beer when I try to get the bowls right and hit water.

Or, maybe not. I just did a set of 516's with a 2.165" intake, and a 1.650" exhaust for a stock stroke 383. Minimal work, but they actual flowed better than I was expecting. Mid 260's at .600", and as I recall, the exhaust wasn't too bad either.

FWIW, those 2.200" valves are still brand new, on the shelf, and the 452's they were intended for went over 320 cfm, so I guess they ain't so bad. All the cast iron dust in my lungs? Well, that's a different story.

Edit:

Oh, nuts. I just realized the 906 heads on my street car have 2.190"/1.810" valves. I'll just crawl back in my hole now.
I'm afraid to go back and look at how bad the geometry was on my 906 heads with the HS rockers, longer valves and no correction on the rocker shafts. I had no idea back then, just bolted things together and ran it.

Yeah it's nice work alright, like straight from Chrysler. Looks factory to me. Puts me in mind of some of the Ford FE chambers. If it's not factory, what kind of machine could do that? Here's the factory as cast chamber.

516HEADS.jpg

Should get a flash to work on that camera and see what the ports look like through the intake runner side you'll know if they flow goodbye how farther laid back because those suckers have to be brought way back

Yeah it's nice work alright, like straight from Chrysler. Looks factory to me. Puts me in mind of some of the Ford FE chambers. If it's not factory, what kind of machine could do that? Here's the factory as cast chamber.

View attachment 1715739376
I can't always tell whether you are joking or not.

But I can think of a few who could do that combustion chamber by hand.

Looks like pretty nice work
:thumbsup:
Dwayne these come from your shop ?

Last edited:
I can't always tell whether you are joking or not.

But I can think of a few who could do that combustion chamber by hand.

Oh I'm sure yall can. Jerry Killian probably can.....but it looks really, really good, whoever did it.

Looks like pretty nice work
:thumbsup:
Dwayne these come from your shop ?

Nope, I can’t take credit for that.
What I can see looks good though.

If I were going for chambers like that, and starting with stock 516 heads, I’d probably do the initial relieving/blending of the side opposite of the spark plug with a flycutter in a mill.

Someone could have a cnc program for it as well.

Looks like they were sort of copying some MW heads.

05AA27C1-6C99-4CF1-AE10-63E548A96D19.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope, I can’t take credit for that.
What I can see looks good though.

If I were going for chambers like that, and starting with stock 516 heads, I’d probably do the initial relieving/blending of the side opposite of the spark plug with a flycutter in a mill.

Someone could have a cnc program for it as well.

Looks like they were sort of copying some MW heads.

View attachment 1715739870

Sure does!

I have a very similar set that I'll be running on my 12-1 compression tunnel rammed 383.

KIMG1120.JPG

It's just mocked up on a stand now. No rotating assembly in it or cam yet.

I plan to CC them as soon as I get a chance.
Just read that max wedge heads cc in the mid- high 90s, so I’m thinking these could possibly be in that range, or is that just wishful thinking ???
Planning to use them on a 383/489 with flat tops and need to be 10-1 with comp Xr292r and hopefully run pump 93. Dynamic would be right at 8-1.... and will also have a Weiand tunnel ram

Last edited:
I plan to CC them as soon as I get a chance.
Just read that max wedge heads cc in the mid- high 90s, so I’m thinking these could possibly be in that range, or is that just wishful thinking ???
Planning to use them on a 383/489 with flat tops and need to be 10-1 with comp Xr292r and hopefully run pump 93. Dynamic would be right at 8-1.... and will also have a Weiand tunnel ram

8:1 is gettin real high for iron heads.

-
Back