porting intake questions

-

plum crazy dart

Reaction score
I took my street dominator intake off to blast it. There is a guy who races that works where I was blasting it. He told me if i took a dremel and removed a little material around the edges of the ports that i would feel a difference in hp gain. I don't push it that much so I really doubt i would. He said i could possibly pick up 10hp. Would it increase tq? Does this sound realistic, is it worth my effort.. i have plenty of time? You can never have too much hp/tq. He does his own and does his own heads also. If i could get him to do the heads what would be a good price? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance. Btw if it matters it's a 440 believe stock heads (kinda new at this don't know one head from another) does have a pretty good cam (also don't have any specs, it was built when i got it) Kb flat tops, 750 holley.

There is a school of thought that says the intake runners should be a tad smaller than the head ports. The resulting step is supposed to help reversion and also fuel/air mixing at the boundary layer at that point.

Speaking as an engineer and not a racer, I think plum_crazy_dart is correct if the ports on the intake and heads match exactly. If they don't exactly match or align, then rounding the edges of the intake may smooth the transition if the head's surface is further away from the centerline. There is probably always a little mis-match since things like head gasket thickness affect how the ports align (V-8, not L-6). Even the best theories fall apart on the dyno. I doubt anyone has made a detailed study. I bet that 10x more money and 1000x more effort has gone into testing by racers compared to automotive engineers who must work under the sharp pencils of accountants. However, racers results are scattered, so much is speculation, claims and counter-claims. Even dyno results are hard to correlate since not usually apples-apples comparisons.

I would not bother with porting the intake myself. Your not in a race effort arena. You'll also not feel 10HP or TQ. That particular intake is very well designed by Holley. You'll note when you look into the plenum the runners have dam's built into them.

At one time, Holley was making some of the absolutely best intakes. They did a lot of R&D before they released the intake as to be sure it was better than Edelbrocks offerings.

I would not bother with porting the intake myself. Your not in a race effort arena. You'll also not feel 10HP or TQ. That particular intake is very well designed by Holley. You'll note when you look into the plenum the runners have dam's built into them.

At one time, Holley was making some of the absolutely best intakes. They did a lot of R&D before they released the intake as to be sure it was better than Edelbrocks offerings.

Basically my thoughts. Was also told that the street dominator intake is out of production and that a lot of racers love them because they are such a well designed intake. Thanks :)

They also were supposed to have very equal fuel distribution. If you want to match the ports, you do the top and sides and leave the bottom as cast for the anti reversion reasons. But, really Rumblefish360 is right, probably not worth the effort.

Thanks 66. I know Holley was pretty ticked at Edelrbock at the time. Proof is just simple investing the time, talent and probably millions of bucks to go head to head with Edelbrock in the intake biz.

They were so pissed, they really took there time to make sure there intakes were top notch and equal at a min. To Edelbrocks. They were not fooling around.

-
Back