porting my own cylinder heads??

-

1971Duster340

Reaction score
hello i bought a multi tool the other day so i could port my own cylinder heads. I just want to know how much i need to take off the ports into make a more efficent flow and add 30 mor cc's to the heads i think the guy said they were 160cc right now and they need to be 190cc so how much should i take off where to look out for the water jackets etc.

thanks

Mopar Performance used to make some nice porting templates. Not sure if they're still available. They were available for both small and big blocks.

EDIT: I did some quick research and it seems they have been discontinued for some time now. Dang, I'm gettin old. I know I have a couple sets of the old small block templates around here somewhere. I'll be glad to look if you're interested.

It has been my experience, that most people actually hurt the performance, by hogging out the exhaust ports.

I assume by your user name, that you are talking about small block heads. As Dart-swinger mentioned, it is easy to over do them. He offered very good advice IMO, I ruined a set of X heads back in the day, as they were my first try.

I ended up learning the hard way, and got a set of 906 BB heads making some serious horse power at the time.
"Tuliping" the guide, or just common sense, removing as much of that restriction, in the center of the intake runner, is huge, along with the bowl blending and gasket port matching in my opinion.

If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. IMO, gasket match the intake port entries abd blend the valve job in the bowls and leave the rest alone. It's easier to make them flow worse than better.

-
Back