Porting question

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
While im waiting for funds to finish my motor, i decided to dissasemble my heads and go over them, looking into the bowl area is the spot below the valve guide supposed to be blended into the rest of the bowl?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 463
ok thanks. i bought these heads from my buddy. he purchased a 73 challenger with a 12:1 440 that snapped a rod, he sold me the entire motor for 100 bucks and these heads were on it, they deffinately have been ported. only thing that worries me is that when whoever ported them did, they went through the intake runners and epoxied them, what do yall think about that?
first pics are stock 452s vs my ported heads, and the last picture you can see where the ports were epoxied

Attachments

• stock 452.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 397
  • ported 452.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 379
  • epoxy.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 402
tube the pushrod holes?
and if i decide to go to e-85 which when my area gets it id like to, what would i do?

I dont think im gonna tube them, they were fine on the other guys car, so im gonna run em lol, but on one port the epoxy was loose so my local machine shop gave me some to fix the one port, i read about splash zone a788, so i may grind off the old epoxy and redo it with that

I dont have that good a torch.. And im not sure if they are ill have to measure it

I don't know what a stock max wedge port size is but you are right next to
my Indy 440-1 port size @ 1 5/16 x 2 5/8.
Someone put some effort into those heads.
Looks like you can open up your intake some if your not using the same one that came
with the heads.
I like to see a iron head 440 that can whoop on a cubic dollar aluminum head engine.
I think you got a lot of cylinder head for your money. Hope they do you good.
I know an older mopar engine builder/racer who has been racing hemis and maxies since the sixty's who has a set of 906 iron heads he opened up to put a factory cross ram on. His cars are very strong and hook up great. He was porting heads long before the aluminum heads were available.
He told me you have to be selective due to core shift as not all of them can be used.

Well ill deffinately post how they do, its gonna be an old school setup, depending on the cc of the chambers it will be anywhere from 10.8-11.5:1 compression with l2295 pistons
557 or 590 mopar cam, steel crank in a .30 over 440. I dont have an intake yet but i plan on a torker 2 or team g, and i have an 800 that ive done a little work on. But the motor the heads came off of was a cast crank 440 with same pistons in a 73 challenger that ran 11.40

I like your old school style.
Since you Dont have a intake yet, their was a 440 manifold dyno session I read that put a lot of the older and newer manifolds to the test. I don't recall all their findings but it was a good source for info on choosing a manifold for our 440 engines. Some of the older ones that can be found used reasonably priced compared pretty well to the latest & greatest.

Yea, ive heard alot of bad stuf on the team g, but on that intake test it seemed to do great along with the torker 2 and holley street dominator, they can all be had for around $100-$125, im just not shellin out for an m1 or victor right now

I have only bought 2 intake manifold new in my life and I chalk it up to magazine hype when it was first introduced. Ended up not liking it and took it off within a week. I would of took it off sooner but couldn't bring myself to do it because how much I just paid for it.
I should have known better. This was the edelbrock rpm. Went back to the tm7 I had been using in the first place and my engine and I were happy again.
I like to let someone else take the big $ bite as first owner of a intake manifold when possible.
The other one I bought new was a six pack manifold. No complaints there.
I was planning on giving the teamG a shot on my indy max ports but ended up with a
63 factory cross ram from the guy I was talking about above. This engine is not finished so I
can't comment on how well this combo makes power but it has the nostalgic cool thing wrapped up.lol.
Can't wait to hear how it turns out for you. It looks like its gonna be a fun one.

I always thought they looked like a good design, close to the old tm7's.
One of my favorites.
A little larger runner volume which should work great with your opened up
ports.
I see they got the chambers looking real smooth on those heads also. Should stay clean and help prevent pre ignition.

Yea i thought that myself, i just left carlisle and saw a set of factory max wedge heads and the ports look fairly similar to my heads

I'd like to see some flow numbers on them. Look like they should work well for ya.

Yea me too, i just cant see taking them to have them flowed, once its done we will see how good they flow lol

-
Back