Porting small block 915 j-heads

-
So.. Done some testing to get a feel for it.
Started to mill down the guides a 1/4"

Still waiting for new valves and guides so this is not the finished "boss"??

IMG_1902.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1910.JPG
IMG_1912.JPG

I’ve hit water in the area where that red arrow is.
A little more towards the bowl and the floor.

Yep. I was with a friend on Friday and he got the call they guy doing the work on the heads said he found a crack or something right there. He wanted to fix it with some epoxy. There will be a third head ported. Sucks doing three heads.

Got hold of a 587 casting and cut it up. Made a template for the short side turn to be sure not going too far.
The rod ends under my thumb along with the macined surface to get the same distance on all turns.
Don´t know if the angle is wrong. It´s up to you pros to decide.
Some material is gonna go when the throat is cut for 1,94" valve so there will be a more steaper angle towards the end

IMG_1919.JPG
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG

The cut is about ,100" deep

IMG_1925.JPG

Got hold of a 587 casting and cut it up. Made a template for the short side turn to be sure not going too far.
The rod ends under my thumb along with the macined surface to get the same distance on all turns.
Don´t know if the angle is wrong. It´s up to you pros to decide.
Some material is gonna go when the throat is cut for 1,94" valve so there will be a more steaper angle towards the end

View attachment 1715533726 View attachment 1715533727 View attachment 1715533728

The cut is about ,100" deep

View attachment 1715533730
Here

View attachment 1715533756

20200523_141645.jpg

What you should do on the junk head is, cut as much out of that corner where the red arrow is as you think you want to.
Then cut the head right along that area in the corner to see what’s left.

It’s rare that you see a hole in the center of the SSR.
It’s usually in one of the corners.

3F3ABB60-2F39-4E60-BD17-492981344330.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not sure how much flow you’re going after, but you can leave that hump in the corner mostly untouched and still end up in the mid-250’s.

95D64666-E484-4BCB-8696-E910C5A4F7F6.png

813DA0D5-CDE1-4774-99F7-D46457AD14C8.png

I’m not sure how much flow you’re going after, but you can leave that hump in the corner mostly untouched and still end up in the mid-250’s.

View attachment 1715533785

View attachment 1715533787
I have taken some on the hump.
Im not looking for highscores so mid-250‘s would make me very satisfied for now. I have heard from a friend who’s got a friends friend that has a flowbench. Gonna be a visit there in the future to have a verdict.

@PRH
@MOPAROFFICIAL
@'63GT
If you use 11/32 valve guides where do you buy it ? Part nr. ? I assume I need manganese bronze
Have found at Competitionproducts for Chevy SB. Do they fit ? ,502 OD but have no length yet.
My machine shop ordered from Summit but they were back ordered and have been for four weeks. They couldn´t wait for them though they had other things ordered that they wanted asap

If you use 11/32 valve guides where do you buy it ?

Check Ebay. There are some sellers in your area who are selling what you need. They're expensive $8-$10 each US. X 16 of coarse. A driver (air hammer) for those guides are about $18 US.
My 11/32 guide liner kit's reamer takes the .342" guide size out to .3715"~.372". I often wondered if a 11/32 liner in a .372 guide would do the trick.

For the material a lot of it depends on what you are doing and level of parts.
Iron guide wears the stem faster than the other way around. Bronze wears faster than the valve, though if you use a really nice valve with stems like glass they do better. Drag? Street? Land speed record?
Use the one you feel is gonna live up to your expectation. What valves are you using again?

Manganese .502 x 11/32 isn’t really a “Chevy” guide....... it’s a universal guide.
Just figure out what you need for length and get something close in length, but slightly longer.
They are trimmed for the correct length after installation.

@PRH
@MOPAROFFICIAL
@'63GT
If you use 11/32 valve guides where do you buy it ? Part nr. ? I assume I need manganese bronze
Have found at Competitionproducts for Chevy SB. Do they fit ? ,502 OD but have no length yet.
My machine shop ordered from Summit but they were back ordered and have been for four weeks. They couldn´t wait for them though they had other things ordered that they wanted asap

Any decent machine shop should stock 11/32 x .500 guides in bronze and cast iron.

It’s a simple machine operation to install the new guides and cut them for seals.

For the material a lot of it depends on what you are doing and level of parts.
Iron guide wears the stem faster than the other way around. Bronze wears faster than the valve, though if you use a really nice valve with stems like glass they do better. Drag? Street? Land speed record?
Use the one you feel is gonna live up to your expectation. What valves are you using again?
It´s gonna be a streeter. No records :steering:
The intake valves are REV CL 1641 21-4n stainless 1,94" + ,100"
Exhaust is Power products performance stainless , chrome stem 1,625" + ,100" , thats what I know of them
Ordered a complete head improvement kit from Competitionproducts. kit #851296 but I replaced all valves due to length , springs , retainers , locks , seals.
The intake valves got a little more expensive though.
Here are some data on the springs.
Valve Spring Type: Hi-Tech Racing Products Hydraulic/Mechanical Flat Tappet
Valve Spring Size: 1.265" O.D.
Valve Spring Pressure: Closed: 110 @ 1.800", Open: 340 @ 1.150", 1.160" Coil Bind
Valve Spring Max Lift: .570"

Manganese .502 x 11/32 isn’t really a “Chevy” guide....... it’s a universal guide.
Just figure out what you need for length and get something close in length, but slightly longer.
They are trimmed for the correct length after installation.

Ok. I have asked for the length but haven´t got an answer yet.

Any decent machine shop should stock 11/32 x .500 guides in bronze and cast iron.

It’s a simple machine operation to install the new guides and cut them for seals.

It is a decent machine shop but I don´t know if they were out of stock. They had cast iron but it was my fault saying I wanted manganese bronze. I don´t know better :wtf:

Doing good so far.
Thanks

-
Back