Portland swap meet... Waste Of Time

-
Reaction score
Was at the track Friday and Expo Saturday. The lack of Mopar cars and parts was stunning. Anyone else have this experience?

Well. I did hear that it rained most of the weekend, so that may be it.
Friday was rain and wind. Saturday was a mix of sun and cloud. Most vendors book stalls months in advance. What Mopar parts that were there had big price tags. A 1967 440 air cleaner $500. Can you say bend me over.

Friday was rain and wind. Saturday was a mix of sun and cloud. Most vendors book stalls months in advance. What Mopar parts that were there had big price tags. A 1967 440 air cleaner $500. Can you say bend me over.

I've been there several times in the past and have gotten some good deals, but, you're right, for the most part sellers want the moon.

Gone are the days you could pick up 6 pac carbs for 20$ from an unwitting Chevy booth.......alas.....

I haven't went in years. But when I did go regularly, the Mopar stuff was always slim pickings.

You are better off just driving directly to Wildcat auto wrecking.

I went there Saturday and only got through the Expo "side", didn't make it to the track. I didn't see as many mopar parts as in other years for sure. My wife "surprised" me with a purchase she made for me, it was the repop owners manual, I didn't have the heart to tell her I already had one. Besides that I picked up a tow strap for pulling trees off my property. One thing I noticed about the expo is everybody is drinking beer all day and early. I guess why not if you're not driving anyway : )

There is a BIG swap meet in Wichita, KS every Year on first weekend in February. It is at an Expo Center and it takes up two whole, huge buildings. I go just to have something car related to do in the winter. There is virtually NOTHING there MOPAR. Every year it gets worse. Oh well, we still have fun.

Well I can address the subject pretty easily. Up until this year I had a booth for the last couple years at the PIR track which I believe is a lot more laid back. I mean you can drive a golf cart around the track or ride a bicycle. (I walk) you have to pay for your booth at the beginning of November for the beginning of April and this last year I blew it off just a little too long and lost my spot. Thursday the 1st day at PIR was raining on and off mostly on. The first day of the Expo Center on Friday was a complete disaster as rain out! You could only go outside for a minute or two and most people were huddled in the inside half of the swap meet the other half of the Expo Center is that in the parking lot which I didn't see much of it all because of the hard rain. And in an un Oregonian like the first brought an umbrella which was still no good because it was so windy that wasn't a good option either outside. And yes the mopar parts are far and few in between been for a few years you start to get to know where the typical booths are with mopar parts and the Oddball ones also. That PIR towards the end of the straight away on the right side of course Jamie's there with about three or four spot all together with lots of mopar parts and if he doesn't have it there he can usually find it. If it's a very rare part it'll cost but normal stuff at a reasonable price. Now the Expo Center you can go in the parking lot right behind the Expo Center and right outside the northeastern most door will be John and Paul both having your booths together. They have all the a body small block 4 Speed blah blah blah stuff but they are definitely profit people-Buy Low and sell High. A ratio chart yeah there's probably 80% car parts to begin with and 20% crap that shouldn't even be there I mean really kind of upset me at the Expo Center or women will have jewelry boots and shoes and clothes and all that kind of stuff which is fine if all the spots were sold out! I mean there's guys trying to get spots for their car parts and they're going to people who are selling jewelry and shoes? I don't mind seeing that stuff there as long as everybody who's selling car parts got their boots first!? I didn't get it but these people did? Makes me want to take all my greasy oily Rusty car parts to a jewelry and Shoe Show for women and see how that goes over? Probably not possible LOL but long story short there's about five booths at each area but you have to find them but once you know where they are you can pretty much go to them directly. As far as Wildcat goes very nice people very knowledgeable but twice the price you should be paying. I love to go there and look at all the Mopars and maybe learn some stuff. But as a general rule I call them and find out how much a part should be I simply ask how much they want for it and figure it should be half that and usually it's a perfect scale. Case in point I was looking for some e-body eight and three quarter axles and they wanted $100 each. Someone from The Forum sent them to my front door for a hundred and twenty for both saving me the 2 hour drive round trip to Wildcats.

ha! big general swaps!!???? maybe since moving to Texas I will find the BIG ones here to have some mopar parts and reasonable prices,????? but I hate to drive 3 hours to a big one coming up in New Braunfels, find NOTHING and worst part is I have a set of 4 takes offs wheels, 20 inch high end aftermarket funky rims and and like new 245 x 35 ZR 20 tires I want to sel BADl!!!!! but they have been sold out of spaces since Jan! ha and I do not know anyone there anyway! ha again.....

I go to the Portland swap for the "thrill of the hunt". Several years back I missed a shark tooth grill that sold at the raceway for $350 and was in pretty fair shape I heard. This year I was looking out for a rare radiator, a 68 or 69 A body 22" which has both inlets on the drivers side. Surprisingly I found two. First however was an aftermarket, sign said "69 Dart" and seller honestly admitted it wouldn't cool his 340. Other one was in the "Mopar" booths, think it might have been for a 273 cause it was earlier, like a 65 but bottom inlet was smashed a bit. Still fun for me, misses likes to go, still have that Seahawks mailbox from last year!!! And yeah, I agree the track is more laid back. I hear that before the set up (I've never been there that early) you can "race around" the track a bit, dunno.

Now of course I always buy something... $40 - with cable
20170414_194040-1.jpg

You guys need to come down to Spring Fling. All Mopar swap. www.cpwclub.com

Yea, my friend bought a rare 1968 031 22" radiator. Advertised at $200. End of day bought for $100. Same seller sold GTS door panels with excellent GTS emblems and no-cut burgundy panels for $125.

Saw a 489 3.23 sure grip go unsold for $350. Was back of the spot.

You guys need to come down to Spring Fling. All Mopar swap. www.cpwclub.com

Yea, my friend bought a rare 1968 031 22" radiator. Advertised at $200. End of day bought for $100. Same seller sold GTS door panels with excellent GTS emblems and no-cut burgundy panels for $125.

Saw a 489 3.23 sure grip go unsold for $350. Was back of the spot.

That is the one I'm looking for, I would have had a hard time passing it up and waiting until the end of the day, likely would have tried a reasonable counter offer, then bought it for the asking price. Sounds like a great swap, wrong coast for me though....

And lastly, here's what my wife found, says you never know what you'll find there and she's right. This bunny character is actually rare, she wanted this and got the seller to go down in price a couple of bucks, why??? Because she has it tatoo'd on her upper chest (she could show him), hilarious!!!

IMG_1765.JPG

There was I believe it's called the "hammer head"? B&M ratchet shifter new in the box (installed but never used) for $100 and I walked away because it was early the first day and us bargain hunters don't like to get to hasty too quick. Well I got to walking around and couldn't find anything better so I said I better go jump on it of course it was gone- rats! So I walk around and I'm about to go home and I walk around a little more and see that one and the guy wanted 50 bucks and I walked away but not too far this time and came back and said how about 2- $20's? and he said okay it was a little more beat up but it had everything and it was the kind I wanted. I didn't want the one with the finger latches to get out of gear, I want to just pull up and have less mechanisms for my wife and keep it simple.

That is the one I'm looking for, I would have had a hard time passing it up and waiting until the end of the day, likely would have tried a reasonable counter offer, then bought it for the asking price. Sounds like a great swap, wrong coast for me though....

There was I believe it's called the "hammer head"? B&M ratchet shifter new in the box (installed but never used) for $100 and I walked away because it was early the first day and us bargain hunters don't like to get to hasty too quick. Well I got to walking around and couldn't find anything better so I said I better go jump on it of course it was gone- rats! So I walk around and I'm about to go home and I walk around a little more and see that one and the guy wanted 50 bucks and I walked away but not too far this time and came back and said how about 2- $20's? and he said okay it was a little more beat up but it had everything and it was the kind I wanted. I didn't want the one with the finger latches to get out of gear, I want to just pull up and have less mechanisms for my wife and keep it simple.

Usually, it's the reverse situation....you see it at a stall for $100, leave it, and later that day it's in another guys booth for $200!

-
Back