positive crankcase ventilation-smoke

-

exile uk

Reaction score
when i got my 340 dart sport i noticed the pcv pipe was hooked correctly to my carb from the passenger side valve cover but on the drivers side valve cover was only a sealed oil filler cap??No breather.engine was producing white exhaust smoke and water was dripping from exhaust tip exits.Got a new breather cap and replaced filler cap with that.Checked oil and it was fine,zero coolant had been lost either.car now produces zero white smoke(moisture)thankfully.it took a good 30 mins to evaporate all the moisture(smoke) and rid my engine of the effects of having no breather.The previous owner had put on some new edelbrock ally valve covers with only one port on each and he forgot the breather.
So its wise to check youre new buy over and im glad this simple fix saved my engine.If anyones got white exhaust smoke just check pcv set up.Ive seen this before on a mates c10,they use a filler cap instead of a breather because theyre not aware of crankcase pressure.

I'm surprised it cleared up moisture that quickly.

Water drops out the exhaust is perfectly normal. Healthy, even.

One of the byproducts of converting gasoline to energy is water/steam. If the air has moisture in it, that also comes out as water/steam. And if it puddles in your exhaust system will form acids strong enough to corrode metals.
So, good catch, OP

One of the byproducts of converting gasoline to energy is water/steam. If the air has moisture in it, that also comes out as water/steam. And if it puddles in your exhaust system will form acids strong enough to corrode metals.
So, good catch, OP
agreed, i was told many years ago that for every gallon of gas burnt an engine produces a pint of water. it only shows when the motor's cold by water dripping from the tailpipes.

From WIKI
A gasoline-fueled internal combustion engine obtains energy from the combustion of gasoline's various hydrocarbons with oxygen from the ambient air, yielding carbon dioxide and water as exhaust. The combustion of octane, a representative species, performs the chemical reaction:

2 C 8 H 18 + 25 O 2 ⟶ 16 CO 2 + 18 H 2 O {\displaystyle {\ce {2 C8H18 + 25 O2 -> 16 CO2 + 18 H2O}}}

7a1d25015477a98ef84cdf5b632e43daf9545ea2

Molecular weights of the representative octane combustion are C8H18 114, O2 32, CO2 44, H2O 18; therefore 1 kg of fuel reacts with 3.51 kg of oxygen to produce 3.09 kg of carbon dioxide and 1.42 kg of water.

From WIKI
A gasoline-fueled internal combustion engine obtains energy from the combustion of gasoline's various hydrocarbons with oxygen from the ambient air, yielding carbon dioxide and water as exhaust. The combustion of octane, a representative species, performs the chemical reaction:

2 C 8 H 18 + 25 O 2 ⟶ 16 CO 2 + 18 H 2 O {\displaystyle {\ce {2 C8H18 + 25 O2 -> 16 CO2 + 18 H2O}}}

7a1d25015477a98ef84cdf5b632e43daf9545ea2

Molecular weights of the representative octane combustion are C8H18 114, O2 32, CO2 44, H2O 18; therefore 1 kg of fuel reacts with 3.51 kg of oxygen to produce 3.09 kg of carbon dioxide and 1.42 kg of water.

-
Back