possible 65 valiant:):):)

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
so driving around today my girlfriend remembered a car sittin at a friends dads house that was for sale. she thought is was not something i would be interested but figured we would check it out. it turned out to be a 65 valiant /6 auto is decent shape we had to get back to her house but got some info. and it looked to be in decent shape. where should i look for rust and what issues should i look for common on the early a bodies? this would be my daily driver and know the mileage will be decent and have heard it would do decent on the freeway. with just the 3 speed and pbly around 2.73 gears and smaller tires will it do good as it sits? i really need it to cruise at 75+ with out screaming. i absolutley love the car and think it would look sweet sitting next to the scamp. and what would it be worth with as little as we all know lol. i know what he is askin but would like to hear what you all think first. anything i should find out when i go look at it? like anything special it might have in the vin or fender tag? i have never done much with early a's and would love to learn more. the interior seems decent for a 44 year old car. needs some love but useable. it also has the factory radio delete still in place. the original owner lives next door to the current owner. i thought that was kinda cool.

65 dart.jpg

I love it!Looks to be in good shape too!Last year I took a likeing to the Early-A,s.So I had my 66 Dart shipped up from Alabama!I,ve changed ALL mechanical parts,360/904,disc brakes,8 3/4 s.g 3.91,s,Moser axels,cooling system,exhaust,all in 4 months!This little beast is 700lbs. lighter than my 73 Dart Sport 340.I hope you get it,cause you,ll enjoy it,who knows?down the road you might build a super street/strip post car?

DSC_0435.jpg

re and re of 66 Dart 004.jpg

ya these cars are sweet and the 65 and 66 are the best years for earlys. my plans would keep it vintage. maby 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 sure grip 5 speed manual and turbo or twin turbo the slant after i port fuel inject it lol. its light enough to keep the slant and use it to its potential. then it could really be a terror for any ricer on the streets? and still get to keep my man card lol

I,m actually starting to like the looks of my 66 more than my 73 Dart Sport 340.There,s just something about the nostalgia/vintage/old school look that has really caught my eye lately!Must be my age(turning 46)and the amount and different types of muscle cars I,ve owned over 30 years?Check these out!!

Mopar%20Nationals%2008%20096.jpg

white 1.jpg

future looks2.jpg

ya they are differnt and kinda have to grow on you but once they do you are in love lol. im 19 and everyone says i have wierd taste but not thinking about looks these cars have a lot goin for them:) i cant wait to learn more about this one and drive it

The car looks great in the pics but if you're gonna check it over good first just check the typical A body rot spots like the torsion bar mounts, spring perches ,spare tire well ,frame rails, and inner fenders etc. Judging by the pics its gonna be good. good luck

You are so damn lucky. That car is sweet. To answer your questions... Price? Even at $3500, it would be well worth it, but typically I see them for $1500-$2500. Check inside the cowl for rust too...I duct-taped a small mirror on a popsicle stick for a better look. As for driving $75+ mph, the engine will be pretty busy, but it will do it.

If you get it, find out all the history you can, since you have the previous owners right there.

If anyone questions your 'man card' status, who cares? They're idiots. Early-A's are one of the best-designed cars ever. I hope that car is as solid as it looks!

Nice car, great deal, you're in the early a loop now and I think you will enjoy it. I really like the look of the 65 post cars.

The car looks great in the pics but if you're gonna check it over good first just check the typical A body rot spots like the torsion bar mounts, spring perches ,spare tire well ,frame rails, and inner fenders etc. Judging by the pics its gonna be good. good luck

so these spots and cowl anywhere else? i really want to check it out more lol and sell something so i can get it anyone wanna buy a 5 speed zr2 blazer lifted with american racing wheels?? lol he is asking $2000 i think when i can i will offer 1500 and see what he says. then i can put some wheels and tires on it that are a little bigger and a tune up and anything i find out it needs. just courious will the steering column and powersteering box from my 75 scamp fit on this? and vice versa? thanks for all the encouragement and answers i appreciate it all:toothy8::notworth:

sweet. i had a 64 with a slant and 3 on the tree and that got as high as 26 mpg in a trip. it had 13" tires on it and did ok on th ehighway. do 65-75 ok if i remember correctly. anything more is really pushing it.

i am 19 and really like speed lol i hate getting passed. i travel from school home every weekend on 125 where it is 75 most of the way. in my blazer i cruise around 90 most of the way. i know i wont be able to do that in this at least not for a while lol. but if 70 keeps it around 2000 or 3000 rmps then i can live with that. any cruise control that would work? again my 75 has it and dont really need it on there lol

check for rot in
1) the cowl
2) floor pans
3) rear quarters
4) spare tire recess
5) frame rails
6) torsion boxes

If 5 or 6 are problematic, could be more trouble that it's worth. The other items are not fun to fix, but are less diminishing of the cars value and usability.

I would make an offer soon, maybe put a deposit down, work out some terms. As the owner of over 10 early Valiants (64-66) and current owner of a 65 valiant convertible and 65 barracuda 273 4 speed, I never bought one that looks that nice for $2000.

If it checks out, JUMP!!!!

The 65-66,s are notorious for corroding at the electrical block at firewall,also ammeter failure.Just a couple well known culprit areas.Good Luck with the purchase!

ok those arent to hard to fix tho. i still havent been able to check it out been busy. and getting ready to leave for new mexico for a week with out internet btw lol. then i will try to give it a one over and work on getting the money together:) lord willing it will be around when i am ready lol

i am 19 and really like speed lol i hate getting passed. i travel from school home every weekend on 125 where it is 75 most of the way. in my blazer i cruise around 90 most of the way. i know i wont be able to do that in this at least not for a while lol. but if 70 keeps it around 2000 or 3000 rmps then i can live with that. any cruise control that would work? again my 75 has it and dont really need it on there lol
Goldfish 65 is right on the "MONEY" for estimates.
Tylers18, That car looks GREAT! I'd be all over that like white on rice. Don't worry, you'll find out when you drive it, the car will naturally calm you and it ends up driving slower by itself! You'll end up smirking at all the idiots passing you while your getting 25 MPG+!
Good Luck, You will absolutly LOVE your early A. I don't know what we would do without ours. It's our only dependable daily driver!
:cheers:
Oh, look around back wimdshield inside trunk they like to leak on the inside and drip down next to wheel wells then running down spare tire well and inner trunk extensions. Pull up carpet corner or floor mat and check for moistier.
Awsome Car, I wish I had it!!

thanks guys for all the encouragement. if someone is interested in one around here there was a '65 (i think) wagon for sale in pueblo for $950. a better deal but i fell in love with this one and dont wanna drive to pueblo lol. is was on denver craigslist if i find it i will post it.

one thing i find funny is my 2nd car and my favorite car was a 65 dodge truck i got just a few years ago. /6 4 speed utline (stepside) and the cab mounts were rusted bad so other then my bro falling out of it cuz the door wuldnt shut right it never had a single problem and in the year or so i had it i never did any maintance on it and not a single drop of fluid including oil change lol. tough old truck:):) then i got a 95 grand am and had issues with it then a 99 blazer and the 4x4 went out then the distributor gear stripped out etc etc lol. then i get a 98 dodge truck and the computer pooped out on me lol. so pretty much i am sick of new cars lol. at skool we say they have gone thru the product cheapining department lol. but they pay the bills so i cant rag on them to much but i really cant wait to get into this car. it will be a burden lifted off my shoulders to know the original parts on the car are built right and strong and even when one quits on me it will be cheap enough to fix:)

Jump on it after checking all the down sides, rot to needing bushings and or how much do you want to invest,and sell you thought with the owner :cheers:, The market and investment sale move 8)8) Then who know what you might be able to get that sweet early A for :cheers: and if you want to cruse at 80 mph on the hwy put some 14'' wheel and 225/70 14'' on the rear and it will bring you up to speed with out changing gears out, Ask me, I ran the same 13'' at 70 mph all the way home 300 mile and about 5 thousand around here at home, Then changed to 225/70R 14'' after and I had to go down a size because I drive my 66 on gravel and a steep drive way and first gear sure was tall after I put the 14''225 on. I went to 215/70R 14.
Nize=P~ earl A.

memike33.jpg

Ralley's 003.jpg

-
Back