Possible good news from TrickFlow

-
Lol that’s ok. I’m in a waiting room, getting ready for a cortisone shot in each hip.

So I get the pain thing lol.
yeah.. i have been in a ton of pain for weeks now.. hoping it goes away, i hate going to doctors... got a muscle all knotted up in my back and a pinched nerve.. left arm keeps going numb on and off all day

yeah.. i have been in a ton of pain for weeks now.. hoping it goes away, i hate going to doctors... got a muscle all knotted up in my back and a pinched nerve.. left arm keeps going numb on and off all day

Damn. Chronic pain is a viscous mistress. It causes depression, anxiety and a whole host of other issues.

Hopefully you can get some relief.

Damn. Chronic pain is a viscous mistress. It causes depression, anxiety and a whole host of other issues.

Hopefully you can get some relief.
Yeah.. bout 2 years ago i shattered my shoulder and had to have it all replaced down to the elbow.. been a ton of pain since, i'm normally fine but today is just special :) thanks

So in your mind it's ok that they charge twice as much for a product and make it to the same bad quality?

I could do a better job of locating mounting holes on my Harbor Freight drill press. No call back yet as promised I would get on Monday or Tuesday from Edelbrock.

I could do a better job of locating mounting holes on my Harbor Freight drill press. No call back yet as promised I would get on Monday or Tuesday from Edelbrock.

Lol yup. That is a sad thing for sure. You have to wonder how much of that is a pissed off employee dicking around or something because it doesn’t seem to be an every manifold issue. Like a bad production run or something.

They have a single guy that does RMA/Warranty he's actually been pretty cool.. i pointed him to your victor thread also...

Lol yup. That is a sad thing for sure. You have to wonder how much of that is a pissed off employee dicking around or something because it doesn’t seem to be an every manifold issue. Like a bad production run or something.

All this stuff is automated, either someone messed up mounting the part or something changed with where they zero from on the casting.

All this stuff is automated, either someone messed up mounting the part or something changed with where they zero from on the casting.

I've got a couple decades experience with castings and forgings - no two are identical. Processes can only be so precise. The number of variables involved is mind boggling and can be affected by anything from how hungover the operator is to what the weather is on any given day.
In sand casting, parts the size of a manifold are likely more than +-.100 from end-to-end. That means the zeroing also has to shift as the part does. Which feature has to be better located to the casting: the thermostat bolt pattern, or the ports, or the carb flange? Often, there's no good way to get all three unless you whip out the part stretcher/shrinker (if only..). In fact, I'm dealing with this exact situation on some extrusion at the moment, all due to normal process variation - and my part is nowhere near the size of a manifold.
There are processes which can hold better tolerances, but the tooling costs alone can quickly exceed million$ for parts that size. Which is fine if you're making a crap load of them, but the volume for our parts is probably insignificant in the casting industry and so we get sand castings.

Automation doesn't make things simple, it really only helps improve throughput, and the final dimensions are more of a function of the casting than the machining. It's also not uncommon for castings to vary through a run, and what might have started well-aligned drifts. Or an operator can mistakenly make too large of an adjustment or adjust for one casting and forget to undo it for the next. QC should check it, but go/no-go gauges can also sometimes miss things since they have to account for all kinds of variations in geometry. At the end of the day, if someone gets a lemon the solution is calling the vendor and informing them. Companies only respond to what costs them money. If no one complains about ugly holes and bad surface finish then the assumption is that the market will tolerate it.

That's a discussion for another time and place. We have been infiltrated.

Save your country, buy :usflag:

Rat Bastid! Tell me how your cortisone shot goes as I am waiting for a hip replacement that is probably six months away and I am in a lot of pain and the drugs just don't seem to work much anymore!

A little TF update.. my heads that were scheduled for 2 months from now actually shipped last night... no idea if it's cause i emailed them last week or what.. but... at least they are on the way :)

Rat Bastid! Tell me how your cortisone shot goes as I am waiting for a hip replacement that is probably six months away and I am in a lot of pain and the drugs just don't seem to work much anymore!

It hasn’t been 24 hours yet but I was surprised how simple and quick it was.

It took them longer to tell me what they were going to do than to do it.

I was back there for about 20 minutes total and that included getting undressed and dressed. It’s incredibly simple.

They laid me on my back and they have a rolling X-ray machine so they can see in real time what they are doing. Then they figure out where they want to sit the needle in. They clean and put some kind of plastic over the area and they stick in a small needle of pain killer.

They used lidocaine on me and that stuff works quick. You barely feel a little stick and they numb everything including the joint. Takes maybe a minute. Probably less. It’s so quick that once they take that needle out the doctor grabbed the needle with the cortisone and stick it right in there. It takes longer to prep than to do.

They do the other side the same way and you are done.

It happened so fast that at the end the doctor asked me if I had any questions and I said how long do I have to lay here, meaning how long do we wait before the cortisone goes in. And he said we’re done. It’s over. Your about to get dressed and go home!!

I‘m thinking dang, I didn’t even know we were done.

So far, I had a slight bit of groin pain on the left side but it was slight. Other than that, it’s been smooth sailing.

The next week will be more indicative of how it’s working but so far, so good.

It hasn’t been 24 hours yet but I was surprised how simple and quick it was.

It took them longer to tell me what they were going to do than to do it.

I was back there for about 20 minutes total and that included getting undressed and dressed. It’s incredibly simple.

They laid me on my back and they have a rolling X-ray machine so they can see in real time what they are doing. Then they figure out where they want to sit the needle in. They clean and put some kind of plastic over the area and they stick in a small needle of pain killer.

They used lidocaine on me and that stuff works quick. You barely feel a little stick and they numb everything including the joint. Takes maybe a minute. Probably less. It’s so quick that once they take that needle out the doctor grabbed the needle with the cortisone and stick it right in there. It takes longer to prep than to do.

They do the other side the same way and you are done.

It happened so fast that at the end the doctor asked me if I had any questions and I said how long do I have to lay here, meaning how long do we wait before the cortisone goes in. And he said we’re done. It’s over. Your about to get dressed and go home!!

I‘m thinking dang, I didn’t even know we were done.

So far, I had a slight bit of groin pain on the left side but it was slight. Other than that, it’s been smooth sailing.

The next week will be more indicative of how it’s working but so far, so good.
With all due respect and please understand I'm sharing my experience because what an incredible difference hip replacement made.
First thing first I'm 54, I broke my hip in 2001 and Dr Blakey told me I would need a hip replacement in 20 ish years. I should have gotten it replaced 2 maybe 3 years ago.
Walked in Nov 8th at 8:50am and at 3:00pm I was wheeled to our truck and three steps to the truck and 3 hours later walked up stairs with a walker into our home. Walked everyday with a walker for 2 weeks I didn't have to use it the second week, but my wife..
I quit using any pain meds at the end of week three and went back to work to visit 4 weeks to the day. Pain wise I could have returned to work but my Dr and HR wouldn't allow due to bones not truly being healed for 6-8 weeks for my age, not that I think I'm old but I sure felt previous to replacement.
What I'm trying to express to you is, of my many surgeries due to racing AKA wrecking dirt bikes my hip replacement recovery was incredibly easy. No disrespect intended and everyone's situation is different just wanted to share my experience. Oh and a friend of mine had his hip replaced unbeknownst to me at the time and his results and recover are similar. I put it off for too long and regrette not doing it sooner.

With all due respect and please understand I'm sharing my experience because what an incredible difference hip replacement made.
First thing first I'm 54, I broke my hip in 2001 and Dr Blakey told me I would need a hip replacement in 20 ish years. I should have gotten it replaced 2 maybe 3 years ago.
Walked in Nov 8th at 8:50am and at 3:00pm I was wheeled to our truck and three steps to the truck and 3 hours later walked up stairs with a walker into our home. Walked everyday with a walker for 2 weeks I didn't have to use it the second week, but my wife..
I quit using any pain meds at the end of week three and went back to work to visit 4 weeks to the day. Pain wise I could have returned to work but my Dr and HR wouldn't allow due to bones not truly being healed for 6-8 weeks for my age, not that I think I'm old but I sure felt previous to replacement.
What I'm trying to express to you is, of my many surgeries due to racing AKA wrecking dirt bikes my hip replacement recovery was incredibly easy. No disrespect intended and everyone's situation is different just wanted to share my experience. Oh and a friend of mine had his hip replaced unbeknownst to me at the time and his results and recover are similar. I put it off for too long and regrette not doing it sooner.

I certainly appreciate and welcome your comments.

I‘m only two days into the cortisone shots, but I can tell it has helped. Has it fixed the issues? That remains to be seen, and as you know if it does “fix” the issues it is temporary at best.

Right now, I really can’t afford to be down very long. Hopefully this gets me by until the fall or so. If it does, new hips will be next. It will be easier to deal with later this year or early next year.

I know it’s coming. In fact, the doctor that gave me the injections said that joint replacement technology is moving forward so fast that even a year delay can mean that the surgery could be (could being the important word!!) a less invasive surgery with less recovery time and longer joint life. He said even the ball and socket coatings are getting better every 6 months or so.

I know I can’t wait too much longer.

Thank You for your comments.

This is good news!

I wrote TF an email on 2/23/23 and this was their response to the SB intake release:

""There is currently no ETA on this intake. Once more information is available, we will update our website and our dealers.
Thank you,
TrickFlow""
I emailed Trick Flow again yesterday to get another update on the SB intake release. This is the reply from this morning:

""We are currently in the sampling process. We hope to have them available in the coming months.""

I emailed Trick Flow again yesterday to get another update on the SB intake release. This is the reply from this morning:

""We are currently in the sampling process. We hope to have them available in the coming months.""
Weingartner recently tested the TF single plane vs. a few other brands on the dyno (in the last few weeks, vid is up) the TF didn't do very well.. that was on a BBC though.

i was talking to them early this week and Jeff told me there in the machining process now then need to be boxed he told me to check summit in two weeks and then check every week after that he said it's hard to find high quality machining and they want it as close to perfect as they can get .

Weingartner recently tested the TF single plane vs. a few other brands on the dyno (in the last few weeks, vid is up) the TF didn't do very well.. that was on a BBC though.
That test should not be used to judge the small block Mopar intake at all. There are so many choices for big block Chevy and that Trick Flow did fine in the test, there just happens to be many others that came out ahead on that particular engine.

What I would like to see is for someone to get their hands on one of these Trick Flow small block Mopar intakes and compare it directly to results they have on an Edelbrock Victor 340 intake.

That test should not be used to judge the small block Mopar intake at all. There are so many choices for big block Chevy and that Trick Flow did fine in the test, there just happens to be many others that came out ahead on that particular engine.

What I would like to see is for someone to get their hands on one of these Trick Flow small block Mopar intakes and compare it directly to results they have on an Edelbrock Victor 340 intake.
If and when the TF intakes are available, I plan on getting one. I will compare performance on the track and possibly dyno between the TF and a Victor 340.

I offered before and I’ll offer again. If someone gets a small block TrickFlow intake I’ll flow it for free. I haven’t touched that Victor340 yet so if it’s soon they could both be flowed back to back on the same runner.

John
I have a trick flow I'll send.
It is untouched.
I can't remember if my edelbrock airgap was gasket matched ?

John
I have a trick flow I'll send.
It is untouched.
I can't remember if my edelbrock airgap was gasket matched ?

Were do you live as shipping both ways would probably be expensive. And July is a crazy month for me so it would be at least August. Stock TrickFlow only so we can see how it stacks up against the stock Victor340 I have.

No hurry on my part .
Yes shipping I'm sure is like everything else in our communist controlled country.
I'd be willing to take one for the team, just to get the comparison out there in real life.

Last edited:
No hurry on my part .
Yes shipping I'm sure is like everything else in our communist controlled country.
I'd be willing to take one for the team, just to get the comparison our there in real life.

Message me in august and we will go from there.

-
Back