Possible to connect new stereo with a clock?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
66 Dart. Just figured out how to install a newer type stereo. However it resets everytime i take out the key. I know the stereo has a wire for constant battery . Where can i find that under the dash? Ahything in the fuse box alwys sending out power?even when key is out.

Look for the circuit with the cigarette lighter, interior lights. That is "hot" when the key is off....

I've installed hundreds of stereos in my life, I used to repair original equipment Mopar GM and Ford radios. I also worked for Audiovox. Your problem is that the memory wire is not staying hot when the key is off. There should be two wires, one that stays hot all the time (typically orange or yellow but verify by reading your instructions) and and one that switches on and off with the ignition (typically red). The lighter circuit is a good choice for the memory wire .Again check instructions that came with your radio in verify these wire colors.

Great info guys. So the cigar lighter is always hot. I actually think there is a little tab in the fuse block for that circuit. So maybe just connect wire there and run it to the stereo. I know which wire is for Memory on my unit.

2nd question: the antenna plug is much larger than the new stereo I got. Wont fit. I'd rather not cut the original antenna wire, so is there an adapter that would take me from the large antenna down to the smaller type?

This new stereo I have is a GM-type, and I can find that antenna plug on Crutchfield, but not sure what the larger original plug is called.

3rd question: the new stereo also has a Dimmer for the backlight LCD readout, I know which wire, also it has a ground wire for it. I think the original lead for my old stereo is 2 wire. The one I am using for the switched battery. But the other lead , I think, went to the old radio Light which was dimmable, right? If that is the case can I now connect that lead to my new stereo Dim wire, ground it and have a dimmable backlight controlled by the headlight switch knob for my new stereo?

My main for the stereo is hot all the time (direct off the battery) so I don't have to have the key on at all.
I have always done mine this way, but you just have to remember to turn it off.

3rd question: the new stereo also has a Dimmer for the backlight LCD readout, I know which wire, also it has a ground wire for it. I think the original lead for my old stereo is 2 wire. The one I am using for the switched battery. But the other lead , I think, went to the old radio Light which was dimmable, right? If that is the case can I now connect that lead to my new stereo Dim wire, ground it and have a dimmable backlight controlled by the headlight switch knob for my new stereo?

If you want it to dim with the dash lights, tap into the orange wires that go to the stock radio back lighting. You can also tap into it directly off the fuse block, just look for the orange wires. You can use the one that went to the factory radio if you are running an aftermarket one...

Then it will brighten and dim with the dash lights...

Here's some shots of a fuse block of a 70 Dart dash:

View attachment Fuse Block A01 B.jpg

Here's the corresponding wiring diagram for it:

View attachment Fuse Block A07 B.jpg

Here's the orange wires that are the instrument light feed and will dim and brighten with the dash lights in the next two pictures:

View attachment Fuse Block A02 B2.jpg

Here's the fuse block diagram with the dimmer circuit circled in orange:

View attachment Fuse Block A07 B 3A Dim.jpg

Here's the fuse block diagram with the Live feed that you want to tap into for the constant live memory power in pink:

View attachment Fuse Block A07 B 2A Live.jpg

Here's the fuse block diagram with the accessory circuit circled that is keyed to the ignition key "run" position in red:

View attachment Fuse Block A07 B 1A.jpg

Here's the connector for the stock radio. You can use the red wire for the accessory circuit power that is on when the key is in run. Then use the orange one for the light dimmer circuit.

View attachment Radio Conn A03 B2.jpg

Yes great pics and info. I got a little tricky and cut off the orange/red plug with a few inches of wire from the original radio. Then spliced into it for the new stereo. (I kept the orig stereo installed and hooked it up so that the light works). Also attached the new stereo to the Constant + , which I grabbed from the cigar lighter. What I did was disconnected the cigar lighter, then took a new wire with a bullet (male) connector and pushed it into the cigar lighter wire. tapped it up, and works great.

The cigar lighter was weird anyhow, didnt really work, and caused the fuse to blow.

I was also able to attach the dimmer to the new stereo, and it is able to dim (basically it either dims or it doesnt). so that is cool.

thanks for all your help. tunes are rockin

I typically tap the cig lighter wire right at it since its right there at the radio. Since that wire is fire starter / burn the car down hot, I add a minimal gauge inline fuse holder and 5 amp fuse for my branch which is plenty to run the stereos memory circuit.

-
Back