Post the car you learned to drive in...

-
Parent's new/special order 1971 Bahama Yellow Road Runner 383 auto (photo is actual vehicle as it looks today). That's what I drove learning on the highway. Before that as a kid, drove Dad's forklift and Ford wheel tractor around the farm for fun.

GSA Road Runner 2.jpg

First car I drove, age 10, a 1964 MGB, identical to this one.
64 MGB.jpg

The car I learned to drive, 1971 Mercury Meteor, very similar to this one.
71 Meteor.jpg

Do these count? Started driving the tractors real young pulling a dump rake. The Z had a hand clutch so I didn't have to be tall enough to reach the clutch pedal. In my later years, probably around 10 or 11 I graduated to this pickup which my Dad bought new.
b farmall.jpg
z moline.jpg
DSC_3478.JPG

Driver’s Ed behind the wheel was in a red 1969 VW Beetle. It had a manual transmission. The last day of my driving the instructor said “Art, you are a really good driver. You’re a lousy shifter but a good driver.” I just couldn’t get engaging the clutch right. I would just let it out.

upload_2022-2-9_21-53-51.jpeg

A '59 Cadillac 4 dr hardtop. I don't remember the model. My dad bought it from a Doctor friend back in the late sixties.

Back in 1975, just turned 16 & I learnt to drive in one of these, my Dad’s 1968 VE Valiant. To be honest he’d let me drive it in the outback as a 14 year old. Fond memories, still like this model today.

6615D7B1-17C5-4E12-8854-B77DC284D2D9.jpeg

1959 Chevrolet Apache Fleetside

starter on the floor and 3 on the tree

R.ce444a7b14230713252975f0fa19a50d

I was gonna a say! It ain't 9k, with out the Plow! Great truck Man!
bought it off a buddy of mine for a good price, and decided to keep the warp up, because first of all, i dont mind running a bill board for his business and secondly, it's a wrap which helps protect what is left of the body

its close to a 1/4 million miles and the only thing that doesnt work as it should is the AC (not a priority on a plow truck)

as for the weight, the truck on its own should clock in at about 8K with the crew cab and the diesel
add to that the plow, and the 10 bundles of shingles i keep in the bed for ballast....9K might be a conservative guess

it was a blast to watch the boy drive that brick and see how proud he was for moving all the snow where it had to go (and since this was a parking lot ive been clearing all winter, it was almost like bumper bowling, there are large snow mounts on both ends to slow him down if he overshot the runway)

1582246554_phpHzB7HR.jpg.wo_watermark.jpg

71 lesabre just like this but without the magnum wheels.

350 4 barrel, single exhaust.

It would do 120 MPH.

I learned to drive at about 10 or 11 sitting in Mom's lap steering the 55 Pontiac. I could not reach the pedals. Should say learned to steer! LOL
Learned to drive in a 40 something with a stick. Most kids back in the 60s in the country learned on a stick.

First car I got to steer down a dirt road was a 67 Bonneville in a slightly greener shade of turquoise.

400. Not sure of carb.

1967-pontiac-bonneville.jpg

When I was 14, the old black guy that lived across the street asked me if I knew how to drive.
I said I didn't have a license.
He said "I didn't ask if you had a license, I asked if you knew how to drive".
...and I drove him to the liquor store and back in a 76 cadillac like this-

1976-cadillac-coupe-deville.jpg

Last edited:
learned to drive in one of these. Looked almost identical to this one
1976-chevy-shorty-van-1.jpg

Got my License in my uncles 76 Cordoba. Looked like this one
1976-chrysler-cordoba-1324706-2198028.jpg

My father had a new '65 Chevy Bel Aire and that's the car I learned to drive in. On the day of the exam my older brother came to pick me up and take me to the test location. When he got to the house to pick me up he said dad's car has a flat and we don't have time to change it, so we'll take my car. THIS was it. The queen friggin mary, they must have christened it with champagne when it was built. Still remember the look I got from the examiner when we rolled up, somehow I passed.

View attachment 1715867054
As soon as I got my learners permit I used to drive my mom to church every Sunday in this...Queen Mary, meet the Titanic! My older sister too the test in this. Parallel parking and everything.
In a copper color. Rear seat had 4 feet of legroom.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.dealeraccelerate.jpg

As soon as I got my learners permit I used to drive my mom to church every Sunday in this...Queen Mary, meet the Titanic! My older sister too the test in this. Parallel parking and everything.
In a copper color. Rear seat had 4 feet of legroom.
View attachment 1715867531

Imagine parking that boat in a new strip mall parking space. Better choose an end spot or you'd get boxed in!!

Took my driving test in my dad's Maroon '69 Delta Royale like picture below. It was the first car I was hit in the back end while stopped waiting for oncoming traffic to clear for a left turn......
upload_2022-2-10_10-45-9.png

DE cars in HS were early '70s Ford Wagons such as........

upload_2022-2-10_10-58-35.png

-
Back