pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there someone Who still eats "FRIED POTATOES AND ONIONS"
INGREDIENTS :
Enough peanut oil to wet the entire bottom of your pan
2 tbs unsalted sweet cream butter
1 lb Idaho Russet or Red potatoes (I like Reds – but that is just a personal preference)
Salted water
½ medium sized sweet onion like Vidalia
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garnish with paprika and fresh basil
INSTRUCTIONS :
-Place a heavy 9” cast iron skillet over medium heat (just a little more than medium on my electric stove).
-Pour oil into the skillet and add the butter as well. Allow this to heat until the oil is shimmery on the surface – not smoking – if it starts to smoke, pull it off the heat and let it cool some until it is shimmery again.
-Cut up the potatoes into pieces that are the same size – chips or cubes – your choice.
-As you cut, place into 4 cups of water that has 2 Tbs of salt mixed in.
-Cut up onion into bigger chunks than you cut the potato.
After 5 minutes, drain the potato VERY WELL and dry with paper towels
-When the oil is ready (shimmery) put the potato and the onion into the oil. Do not crowd the potatoes. If there isn’t enough room for them to lay side by side, then let some cook, remove them to drain on a paper towel and then cook the rest.
-Cook for about 4 minutes on one side then flip and cook for another 2-4 minutes on the other side.
-Drain on a paper towel. Salt and pepper as soon as you remove from the oil.
-Garnish and serve hot

Stolen from Facebook

49A17DC1-2143-435F-BDA3-2C30F8462C99.jpeg

Just add some deer tenderloin cutlets with some gravy.

:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, that's a fave at my house. Top with some crumbled sausage and an egg for nirvana!

Top with a pound of crumbled bacon and three types of cheese and you will be amazed

I like to experiment with different things to add to the taters and onions. Meats and veggies can make or break the meal. I also add eggs into the mix. Sometimes gravy also. Kim

Love this, you have a good mix there.
I would use two half onions, some good ideas for mixing here, but this is a recipe I will be doing, just add another half onion @pittsburghracer

I finally took a break from the shop and did some grocery shopping. Between a busy race schedule, yard work, shop work, and summer heat I haven’t been cooking except on the grill and microwave. Well seeing that picture sent me into action. Two bags red potatoes and onions and stuff to make enough sauce for a week and sauce to freeze. I almost grabbed a couple t-bones too but decided not to go crazy. It already cost 200.00. Lol

We just had potatoes with onions and kielbasa a few days ago for dinner.

We just had potatoes with onions and kielbasa a few days ago for dinner.

I just had kelby and kraut so it will just be potatoes and onions this time. I forgot to saw I bought two big packs of chicken thighs ( .99 a pound ) so I’ll bake most of them with season salt and Franks hot sauce. And I’ll cook a load of them just plain for my kitty’s.

Another twist\ Cut red taters up in small chunks, PAR boil them till tender, place on cookie sheet and sprinkle with a GOOD seasiong salt. Bake till crispy. Maybe turn oven on broil at the end. The best salt I have ever had and I can not find it any where came from a chef and it was simply called fry seasoning. I have no clue as to the brand Restaurant thing I guess. Never seen it anywhere. The seasoning is the simple key!

Those sound good John! We do taters and onions on the grill sometimes, to eat with a steak or pork chops. Cut up red potato's, cut up Vidalia onion, bacon, and like @Mtrhead mentioned, 3 flavors of cheese. Wrap it all up in aluminum foil pouches and cook them on the grill. They're so good, they'll make your tongue slap your brains out when you break that foil pack open!

-
Back