Powder coating a water pump

-

MOPARCODY

Reaction score
Is there a way to disassemble a LA water pump to have it powder coated? I just had my intake and timing cover done in a clear powder coat and it turned out amazing. If like to do the water pump but I'm not sure if it can be disassembled

Why would it have to be? Leanna can tell you. Send it to her and let her do it.

My buddy owns a powder coating shop but at 385 degrees it will melt the seals out of it

I do a lot of powder coating too, and I would balk at that. When you say you had the intake and timing cover coated with clear, does that mean they were aluminum and you wanted that shiny or matte clear coated aluminum look? If so, and the pump can't be powder coated, Eastwood sells a product called "Diamond Clear" that I have used. It comes in gloss or matte. I highly recommend it. There is one for bare metal surfaces and one for painted surfaces. So if the pump can't be powder coated, this would be a good option.

thanks for the pics, now I see what you are working with. The Eastwood Diamond coat would probably be a very close match if the pump can't be powder coated. I have used it, and it works great.

thanks for the pics, now I see what you are working with. The Eastwood Diamond coat would probably be a very close match if the pump can't be powder coated. I have used it, and it works great.

Thanks harrison, ill look into it

I used Rustoleum clear engine spray paint (500 F) on my LA aluminum water pump. Some say it eventually yellows, but I haven't run the engine much. If 1970-, your w.p. is cast-iron.

i ended up using the vht engine clear and baking it in the oven at 250 for about 15 minutes, seal and bearings look like they are still in good shape. came out pretty close to the clear powder coat

Impeller just presses off and the wet bearing comes out after that. The cover came out nice, the intake is going to take some oil and gas soaks, hope it shrugs them off without damage to coating.

No offense, but that timing cover looks like holy hell on wheels. If you had sent that to Leanna, you would have gotten back a masterpiece with ZERO casting flash or imperfections. You would have wanted to frame it. That clear coat makes the casting flash stick out like a sore thumb on top. That looks rough.

:-D ... God I love honesty. Rusty Rob, please keep in mind that most coaters just blast and powder coat whatever comes in the door. They don't give any thought to cleaning up casting defects or repairing any damage. Personally, I just can't see doing the work any other way except all the way -- why bother to try to make it all pretty if it's going to cut your hand open while you're working on your car??

I hope you got a good deal on the work MoparCody. :-D

View attachment Hiring a Professional.jpg

-
Back