POWDER COATING COST

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Can anyone advise how much I could expect to pay to have 2 motor mounts, and a complete transmission mount/cross member media blasted and powder coated semi gloss black. Contemplating just using Rustoleum.

Thanks FABO

No idea on the current cost. Powder coating is tough stuff though. For example, Leanna (@CudaChick1968) restored my valve covers 10+years ago. My engine paint has faded but the valve covers still look like new. Send her a message. You get what you pay for.

100_4068.JPG

100_4069.JPG

spring break09 007.JPG

Battery topper2.jpg

Last edited:
Before I knew of Leanna, I wanted two new OEM valve covers blasted and powder coated, a guy local to me gave an estimated of $80.

Last edited:
The cost of powder coating is primarily in the set up, so it's really a cost per batch. Most places have a lot charge for small jobs of around $100-150 regardless (depending on exact material). Stuff gets cheap when you're coating dozens of things.

Hi Folks

Can anyone advise how much I could expect to pay to have 2 motor mounts, and a complete transmission mount/cross member media blasted and powder coated semi gloss black. Contemplating just using Rustoleum.

Thanks FABO
I've been powder coating as a hobby and as a small part time business for about 20 years. I always tell people that I can give them an approximate number, but until I actually see the part(s), I can't give an exact number. If I get parts that are caked in grease, oil and dirt, I charge an hourly rate for the cleaning. Some parts can be blasted to bare metal in just a few minutes, and some need to have a lot of layers of paint and/or rust blasted off. If a part was powder coated before, that takes a bit longer to blast off than just paint. It always cracks me up when I shoot a person a price I think is reasonable, and they think it is way too high. I am into it on a small level, but I still have a big compressor, a 3'x3'x6' oven, a medium size blasting cabinet, a decent powder coating gun and assorted other equipment. I probably have $15K in powder coating gear in my garage. I bet most professionals have 10-15 times more invested in their equipment. Plus, there are consumables to consider. I use sand blasting media, cleaning solutions/supplies, powder and a lot of assorted supplies. All of those consumables continue to go up in price. I don't have overhead to deal with, but a professional has a big overhead expense. Here's the deal. If you want the parts to look fantastic, then by all means have them powder coated. But it might cost more than you think it will. Shipping is always the killer, so you will want to find someone local if possible. That all being said, I would say expect between $100-$150.

My powder coater will help with small jobs in the major colors he does (black predominately) where he collects all the small jobs for a week and does 1 huge job of all the gloss black at once, turning a bunch of small jobs into a big one. Expect custom colors to be more for the setup and cleaning of the gun. If you aren't too picky, you can get cost down if you lump yourself in with a bigger job that requires color leniency and sometimes patience for that big job to get together.

Here in Wisconsin we did a complete truck frame dropped it off he blasted it completely and powder coated it. Absolutely beautiful work that was $300. He blasted two 8.75 housings and coated and that was $100 for he pair. For how cheap it is worth every penny.

20211106_111453.jpg

20211106_111501.jpg

20211106_111447.jpg

Up here Troy, that should be approx $100-150?? Let him know you're not in a rush as long as it's a "normal" black color.

Here in NorCal I paid $80 to have an early A trans crossmember, slant alternator brackets, and slant six oil pan blasted. I couldn’t find anyone who wanted such a small powder coating job(not to mention insane wait times) so I just rattle canned them.

IMG_4617.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

I

I would have done it free. If you wanted to wait a week cabinet is in navada.
I actually need to blast some 15x6 steel wheels and was waiting on a quote from the powder coat company. I’d be down to pay you, buy you beer and or help you if you would blast them for me.

IMG_4734.jpeg

IMG_5029.jpeg

Thanks for the kind write up @toolmanmike!

It's impossible to quote any job without good photos of the parts because no two are the same in terms of condition, cleanliness, color scheme, etc. Though other opinions may differ, I don't believe the guy who chucks his tranny pan in a box with three inches of road grime caked on it should pay the same price as the one who devotes an hour to washing it first.

Not all professional shops have exorbitant overhead costs ... or support our hobby ... or answer questions at no charge (so they can take that information to their local guy) ... or offer members, military or law enforcement discounts either.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, just wait until you hire an amateur."

I've been using Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy for little stuff and even wheels. It's very durable shiny, but dries very slowly, I guess because it's oil based. It's the best rattlecan paint that I've found. It comes in Black, White, Stainless Steel, and Almond. I used to get wheels sandblasted and powdercoated for 25.00 each, it's 50.00 now.

My brother had a bunch of small and medium sized (largest part was a subframe) parts done recently for one of his projects, some 40 pieces in total at a cost of about $1000.00. He was very happy with both the results and the cost, however he does deal a fair amount with the same people and makes an effort to clean and degrease everything before it goes there, plus he's rarely in a rush.

I actually need to blast some 15x6 steel wheels and was waiting on a quote from the powder coat company. I’d be down to pay you, buy you beer and or help you if you would blast them for me.

View attachment 1716177568

View attachment 1716177569
sure thing ill have my kid do it, if you want to give him little something easy enough

12E113BE-D82F-4F8D-A7C5-63D2AAE6EBA9.jpeg

9D6A422E-E20C-4988-B510-82AABB4E4DA6.jpeg
Picture is couple years old but im sure he’s still got it, but otherwise sure i can meet you half way and I’ll take care of it. Always good to help out a fellow MOPAR brother, Never know when i may need it.

Here in Wisconsin we did a complete truck frame dropped it off he blasted it completely and powder coated it. Absolutely beautiful work that was $300. He blasted two 8.75 housings and coated and that was $100 for he pair. For how cheap it is worth every penny.

View attachment 1716177489

View attachment 1716177490

View attachment 1716177491
Don't get me wrong; I'm glad you were able to get your frame blasted and powder coated for $300, but I don't see how. He lost money on that. His consumables were probably close to that much. That took a lot of time to blast and clean off. It had to be baked in the oven to outgas. Then it had to be cleaned off. Then it took several pounds of powder to do something that big. At $300 he made nothing.

I've been using Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy for little stuff and even wheels. It's very durable shiny, but dries very slowly, I guess because it's oil based. It's the best rattlecan paint that I've found. It comes in Black, White, Stainless Steel, and Almond. I used to get wheels sandblasted and powdercoated for 25.00 each, it's 50.00 now.

Same, I've been using this stuff for years. It doesn't lay down the smoothest but it's the next toughest thing I've found next to powder coating.

You're right about it drying. I feel like it takes a good 5 days to really fully cure but once it does, it's rock hard.

sure thing ill have my kid do it, if you want to give him little something easy enough

View attachment 1716177667

View attachment 1716177666Picture is couple years old but im sure he’s still got it, but otherwise sure i can meet you half way and I’ll take care of it. Always good to help out a fellow MOPAR brother, Never know when i may need it.
I just love the idea that this kid started so young that it comes second nature to him and when he's 30 he will be running a huge business that he knows everything about!!!!

-
Back