Power Booster Question - Pedal Return

-

dcdman67

Reaction score
Just replaced the booster in my 70 dart with power drum brakes. I still need to bleed the system but had a quick question on function. When I press the pedal down, it does not return. I have to pull it back up with my foot to get it to return. I know bleeding can cause a spongy pedal, but I figured it would return slowly instead of stay depressed. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Did you use the same push rod? You may need a longer rod if you've changed things around, or if yours is adjustable, lengthen it.

Return springs in master cylinders and boosters should take the pedal back to top/home even when no fluid or vacuum is present. If these are exact replacements for OEM power drum brakes you probably got a bad part. There have been a few cases where worn out bushings, etc.., in the mechanical linkage between pedal and booster were the original fault.

Thanks clifftt and RedFish. The reviews on the booster I bought from Summit talked about part failure. I returned the part for a new one and the pedal returns with no issue. I used the adjustable rod that came with the part instead of using the stock rod and mounting bracket. This seems to have done the trick, although I need to get a new brake light switch as the pedal does not touch it anymore after adjusting the pedal to be more inline with the gas pedal. Is this normal? Does anyone have any suggestions for modifying the brake light switch?

Thanks in advance!

brake lamp switch is on adjustable bracket. The 1 bolt is difficult to get at. If there isn't enough adjustment there, a different switch, like from a Ford or GM, might work.

Yes, many here don't figure out to remove the brake pedal switch while fooling with the MC and rods. In many cases, they have installed so that the switch was stopping the pedal from returning fully, which keeps it from exposing the fill port in the MC. After fooling w/ things, then re-install the brake switch and adjust it. Worst-case you could file the slot longer if needed.

-
Back