Power Brake Hose Check Valve ('65 Formula S)?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I ordered a 11/32" Gates power brake vacuum house via Amazon Mexico. The clear plastic package was labelled 27232 and 11/32" so I did not worry about it. Today I opened the package to find a 15/32" hose in the package (27233). One step forward, two steps back again.

My question is whether or not the '65 Abodies with power brakes use any check valves in the hoses? I don't remember using one. One hose goes from booster to the intake manifold and a second goes from booster to a small vacuum tank attached to the inner fender under the hood. Thank you.

wrong hose 1.JPG

wrong hose 2.JPG

wrong hose 3.JPG

The check valve is the round (about the size of a half dollar) fitting held into your booster by a rubber grommet- in your case it has 2 hose barbs that you attach your vacuum hoses to.
Similar to this:
OIP.Y-Ac-T49nK7nFuwr1rEbWAHaE6?w=283&h=187&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Edit: Oops, my mistake. This is for the later booster.

Last edited:
I'm not sure post #2 is addressing the year/make/model of my particular power booster for a 1965 Formula S (see photo). I have two metal tubes coming out of the booster and nowhere for a valve that I can see.

Power brake hose connections.JPG

I’m using a later booster in my 65 Dart which uses the valve as described in post #2 so I’m not much help. However, I seem to recall for 65 there is some kind of valve in one of the hoses from the booster tank. @65dartcharger He will know the correct answer for sure

IIRC, it was an inline valve made of a white plastic. The one Professor Fate shows is the later one that mounts in a grommet in the booster itself.

For 1965 and 1966 Chrysler used a inline Bendix check valve. The right pipe connects to the lower pipe on the booster and the lower pipe on the check valve connects to the intakt. The upper pipe on the booster connects to the vacuum tank.

20190905_174546.jpg

Update to post #1: I just completed some more research conducted in reading the 1965 factory Plymouth parts catalog/manual. The blow-up photo of the Valiant/Dart power booster shows the vacuum tank and hose but no check-valve. Looking at the parts list, there is a part number for the vacuum tank but no part number for a check-valve for the Dart/Valiant.

Now, it is just the opposite for the larger Plymouth/Imperial line of cars. There is no vacuum tank listed at all, but there is a part number for a check valve.

Now I begin to see what that "extra" vacuum tank is used for on the '65 Abody power brake vehicles: for whatever reason, Chrysler used the vacuum tank as a reserve, which in other larger models is taken care of by using the check valve in conjunction with the firewall booster itself. Why the difference in engineering is anybody's guess. In any case, I won't be needing a check-valve after all.

-
Back