Power disc or manual, that is the question

-

Copper Dart

Reaction score
OK, If you had both DISC systems (donor cars), would you chose a power brake or manual for a Street/show car driver not a 500+hp drag car. Consider all costs and reliability issues including replacement/maintenance issues.
What say you?

My wife and I both have an a-body with manual discs (68 Barracuda and 73 Dart). We both see zero reason to have power assist.

That's all I can offer.

I have a scarbird convershion manual disk and it stops fine. I have no need for power assist

Manual, all the way.
I would convert a power brake car to manual 100% of the time.

I'll keep it 100%.....manual. No booster in the way or prone to fail.....no touchy brake feel.....no vacuum problems with a lumpy cam....etc.

Manual sure makes it easier when it comes time to replace the spark plugs when you have a big block.:happy1:

I have converted 2 70 Dusters to disc brakes:
Mine; manual with a truck master cylinder
My son's; power with a stock 74 master. It also has rear discs and the residual valve removed.
I prefer manual, but Brendan doesn't like the pedal effort on mine. I think that's because he learned to drive in power equipped vehicles and his daily driver Scion has power. I, on the other hand started driving in a 1959 Rambler, manual drums.
It's really just a matter of personal preference and what you're most comfortable with.
I've had many vehicles over the years equipped both ways and don't really believe that there's any difference in reliability. As long as the cam you choose provides enough vacuum at idle, just go with whichever you and anyone else who will be driving the car, is most comfortable with.

Looks like Manual is the popular system of choice. I agree, less to go wrong, clean, work around and one less hose! OK, what to do with the power booster and like? Find another space to store it for when I might need that some day ... or post it up for sale? hmmm........Will I ever get stupid enough to take on another full restoration job again?? I know, tote it around to the next 5 swap meets and try to sell it without the pain of shipping and payment methods accepted. :banghead: Anyone know what would be a fair price to ask for the booster and bracket assembly?
IT'S FOR SALE :iconbigg:

-
Back