Power Stearing Clarify??

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
I am prepping to put a 440/727 combo in my 68 Valiant. I am using Schumakeer kit and headers.

I just realized that everyone keeps making comments on manual steering.

Is it possible for me to keep power stearing??

This car is very much a driver and if I cant keep power stearing that changes everything for my plans.....

Yes, you can keep your power steering with the Shumacher headers. If you have Edelbrock heads the fit is very tight though.

Yes, some headers preclude using power steering, but it fits fine with factory manifolds.

I have a set of C body stock manifolds. Will these work on my a-body? I thought the headers were a must.

I would love to use stock manifolds if possible. I love the idea of keeping my car quiet

There are a couple of different C-body manifolds. The log style will fit (unless they are early REAR dump). We have used B-body HP manifolds on every build.

These are the ones I have, will they work? I would love to save a few bucks not having to buy headers I dont want in the first place (I want a true quiet sleeper)

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 193
They'll work, but the flow is quite a bit less than the B-body HP manifolds, but they'll set you back $2-300, normally. I have bought some sets for $50.

When you say b-body what years are you using for the HP manifolds? Howcan I determine by looking at them?

The best fit is 68-73 manifolds. There are a few different casting numbers, but they all look the same (except they added a ridge for the heat stove in 1970). The rare 67 driver side manifold will fit with a "B" motor, but does not appear that it will fit with an "RB".

Attachments

• GTconv11.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 67GT_05crop.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 139
It can still be quiet with the Schumacher headers as long as you have a quiet exauhst system mufflers ect.

I am prepping to put a 440/727 combo in my 68 Valiant. I am using Schumakeer kit and headers.

I just realized that everyone keeps making comments on manual steering.

Is it possible for me to keep power stearing??

This car is very much a driver and if I cant keep power stearing that changes everything for my plans.....

Jeez, man up it ain't as bad as you think, wtf do you think we did before power steering.

Easy there purple haze.
I have owned more my share of Armstrong steering cars. Including the one I am talking about putting this big block in.
It is simply a must on my list... My preference due to my extreme commitment to coffee while I drive.

-
Back