power stearing line vs K-frame

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
So I bought a new power stearing line for my 318 dart. but the k-frame is obstructing installation. It looks like the old line was bent sharply to make it fit, but the bend is where a leak occurred. I'd like to not bend the line and risk it leaking again, but dont want to grind my k-frame either. So what should I do? I was thinking of maybe just j-b welding the old line where it had the whole and not installing the new one.

anyone else have this problem? what did you do?

Have you:

1) Changed K frames?
2) Changed engines?
3) Changed/added the power steering pump or gearbox?

I found out that some of the power steering pressure lines are made to fit a certain combination of motors/kframes/pumps/etc... and if you change one or more of those, the line may not fit.

I ran into a similar problem and ended up having a custom hose made with the right bends to fit my application. Look in your yellow pages for a industrial hose repair/supply place. I think even some Napas can make high pressure hoses. It wasn't expensive at all.

I dont think the JB weld would hold up very long under the high pressure that line will see.

I didnt build the car, originally it was a 273, now its got the 318. I know nothing about originality of other parts.

thanks for good advice. I'll look at hose places if it comes to that.

this kinda shows what i'm up against
here

Do you have a overall top picture showing the p/s pump area.

It looks like you have a 73-75? or so p/s pump rigged to a 69 down cast iron water pump engine setup. I have a feeling your power steering pump is sitting too low and that could be the problem why it's riding against your k-frame motor mount?

The issue could be the bracket or too long of power steering belt or both.

On my 68 Barracuda with Saginaw p/s pump I used Napa p/n 7-1574 or equivalent from www.rockauto.com

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NPS71574_0135925568

Problem is, I think that may be what you have now.

I've had problems with p/s pressure hose listings in the past. They don't seem to be right in the parts books. I don't trust them.

NPS 71574

947698.jpg

A cast iron 69 down water pump small block with saginaw pump should have brackets that look like this.

Attachments

• Copy of DartMotor7_15_10Med03.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 218
So I bought a new power stearing line for my 318 dart. but the k-frame is obstructing installation. It looks like the old line was bent sharply to make it fit, but the bend is where a leak occurred. I'd like to not bend the line and risk it leaking again, but dont want to grind my k-frame either. So what should I do? I was thinking of maybe just j-b welding the old line where it had the whole and not installing the new one.

anyone else have this problem? what did you do?

do not put jb weld on it. its only a band aid solution and will leak again as power steering pressures can exceed 800 psi. how do I know? I put hydroboost on an early A (brake booster runs off powersteering)

This sounds like some good info, let me look read think some on it.

great to know what pressure it needs to withstand if I order a custom one. There is no way I can get the hose I have which looks just like the picture of the NPS 71574 above to fit as is. its tight as all heck down there... I'll see if theres anyway to move it up, but it didnt look that way to me.

thanks

Hello,
heres some more (kinda crappy) pics to help. It is a 69 318 block. I dont know about the year of ps pump or gear box, the markings on the gear box are in a hard to see spot and I cant read untill i can clean, cant do that right now. Also the adjusting bolt for the ps pump is 'frozen' right now, so I cant even attempt to adjust just yet. But the more info I can get about why I have this problem and what I could do about it the better prepared I will be to tackle problem when I get to it.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2447.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2448.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 188
what application is the new line for? that pump is not the the proper one for that car. a stock abody pump up to 72 would have that high pressure like on the front side of the pump not at the rear like that. with the newer style pump like that the line will hit the motor mount, i believe someone does sell a conversion line now but not sure who it is.

look at the pump in this drawing.. thats where the high pressure line went on a stock pump for your car..

pulley068.jpg

we ran into this with my Dart.. with that particular power steering pump/setup.. we ended up grinding the k-member a bit to make clearance..

To get a new hose to fit without hitting the K-member how much needs to be notched?
Do you just have to take a little off or are we talking about a hugh chunk.
A little off isn't the best but won't be the worst thing in the world. If you are talking a hugh amount then you better look for the correct pump set up

what application is the new line for? that pump is not the the proper one for that car. a stock abody pump up to 72 would have that high pressure like on the front side of the pump not at the rear like that. with the newer style pump like that the line will hit the motor mount, i believe someone does sell a conversion line now but not sure who it is.

heres the new line, looks to be for a 69 based application, not 73-75/6. But it also is exactly just like the old one beside not being kinked to heck to fit. I'd hate to grind the K-frame. I was planning on taking some pipe-cleaner and figuring what geometry a custom line would need, but I feel like being cheap too and am missing my power steering a bit.

nice to know someone else did grind the K-frame without major consequence. I'm still thinking about it.

he new line, looks to be for a 69 based application, not 73-75/6.

theres one of the problems. you have a 73-up pump and are trying to stick a 72-down line on it. the other problem is a 73-up line will hit the k-frame. use that adapter hose i posted. its cheap enough. you may want to call them and ask if it is the right one for your combo of parts. i believe it is but Definitely double check though.

I had the same problem and I switched to the correct pump and no more problems

I just gave it a close look. its tight as all heck down there. if it did go off to the passenger side instead of trying to go off to the driver side it may work. I'll call. I dont want to grind that, it would be too much.
Thanks abody

that appears to be a diplomat pump and bracket assembly. reason i say that, is thats what im running on my duster with the 70 style k-frame. i had the same problem. wound up having an o-ring to AN 90* adapter custom made (at $90!!!) and putting a 37* flare on the end of the steel tubing on my power steering line. simple,m reliable solution. just not cheap or easy.

Michael

dont scare me, I called about the saganaw line today, guys said he was gona send me a pic of it hooked up to a pump. waiting.... he got a decent dose of my greenness but was nice. I'll call back tomorrow if nothing. I think it will work. I maybe selling my other new 69 ps line.

that appears to be a diplomat pump and bracket assembly. reason i say that, is thats what im running on my duster with the 70 style k-frame. i had the same problem. wound up having an o-ring to AN 90* adapter custom made (at $90!!!) and putting a 37* flare on the end of the steel tubing on my power steering line. simple,m reliable solution. just not cheap or easy.

Michael

-
Back