Power Steer Gear Removal

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I am removing the power steering gear. I did not buy it with the Pitman arm because I am not having an issue with mine. My question is how do I remove the pitman arm nut? It looks to be 1.25 or 1.5 inch nut. Do I need a socket and breaker arm? Should I buy a pitman are and just pull the whole thing? The service manual indicates 120 ft lbs of torque so socket or box wrench is the only way to go I would say.

Well ya need a big a$$ breaker bar or pipe, and a hefty puller of some sort. The ones I"ve pulled "once you get them moving" they usually come right off.

I use this pretty fair sized old Proto, because it's what I have. This is big enough that with my arthritis, I use both hands to handle it

Check with your local stores for loaners/ rentals of pullers. There does exist dedicated pitman arm pullers

s0470867_sc7

Dedicated pitman arm puller

154_0608_17_z+pitman_arm_puller+losening_bolt.jpg

I am having a bear of a time finding a socket that will fit it. I tried 1 1/8 and it was larger then that so I tried 1 1/4 and that does not seem to fit. Can anyone confirm the size before I spend more money?

Every p/s pitman arm nut I've taken off has been 1 5/16" but there were all 1980 and up.

I just pulled mine to change my steering box and a 33MM socket fir it perfectly

LOL. I just go out to the Great Big Box and thrash around 'til I find somethin that fits.

33 is indeed closed to 1 5/16

remember to grease the threads on those pullers to avoid stripping them.
any tool store will have that socket or NAPA.. impact makes it Wayyyyyyy easier

You'll never get the pitman arm off without a puller. Autozone will loan one for free, or you can buy one for around $10.00.

If you're rebuilding the front end spend the $60.00 dollars and replace the pitman arm.

A breaker bar is all that is really needed for the nut, but as stated above an impact makes short work of the job.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I do have the puller just no socket large enough to fit the nut. As for replacing the pitman arm its actually 125.00 for my car but when I had the car aligned 2 years ago I had the entire front suspension gone through and the pitman and idler were rebuilt and the tie rods were replaced.

1.3125 is a tad over 33mm A 33mm 6 point impact grade socket will work. I got mine at a local flea market.

Just giving an update. I got it out. A 1 5/16 socket fit perfect. The I used a large pitman arm puller. After that the three bolts made it easy. I left the top passenger side loosely in place just in case it wanted to fall forward.

Next thing to tackle is to clear the bay and prime and hopefully paint it.

Just to benefit others reading here.
I dont know if anyone had suggested a pickle fork to you. It is the wrong tool for this job. It can ruin a steering gear.

Good luck with it.

-
Back