power steering and manual steering swap...

-

highflyer

Reaction score
im going to power steering taking out manual..column for man which is in the car [black]is stick shift ..column for power steering is automatic column.[green].id like it to be all black..manual column is great shape..can i take all the pieces from nice man column and put them on the power yuk column..can i replace steering shaft from black [manual] wit shorter shaft from auto column...any help here would be really appreciated before i start on something...thanks..jim:-D

I think all you should need to do is use the pot coupling of the power column and put it on the manual one. Im not 100% on that though.

Just swap the longer manual center shaft for the shorter PS center shaft and then put an ad in the For Sale section for the manual shaft as people are looking to do the PS to manual swap all the time. You'll need to remove the whole column from the car to do the work.

thank you all for the help..why are people turning to manual steering...

dont like the way the power steering feels, more road feel with manual steering, and I dont need it in a light weight car like an A-body, perhaps if it was a heavier car like a C-body or even a B-body I would leave the power steering or even add it, but not in an A-body

i would be intrested in the manual steering shaft once you get it out. shoot me a PM and lets talk. i am doing the power to manual swap, because im installing a 5.7 hemi and the power gearbox will occupy the same space that the exhaust needs. and the manual will fit.

dont like the way the power steering feels, more road feel with manual steering, and I dont need it in a light weight car like an A-body, perhaps if it was a heavier car like a C-body or even a B-body I would leave the power steering or even add it, but not in an A-body

I went from manual to power and it was one of the best upgrades I have made. It took a car that had slow and sluggish response at speed and turned it into a quick and nimble handler, not to mention no more steering wheel thrashing in parking lots.

Getting rid of the overassisted feel of the power is relatively easy with a number of options;
1. You can make a significant improvement just by aligning the car with more positive caster. Using the Moog offset uca bushings give you even more adjustment.
2. Use a smaller diameter steering wheel.
3. Have your power steering box rebuilt by Firm Feel or Steer N Gear for a less stering boost.
4. If you have a Saginaw power steering pump reomove the pressure relief valve behind the fitting the high pressure hose fits in and put a washer under the nut that preloads the pressure relief spring so the pump runs at a lower pressure.

FWIW, I weighted the parts when I went from Manual to Power and the power only added a little over 20 pounds, there was 17lb difference in the boxes.

QUOTE;why are people turning to manual steering

I'm going manual steering, manual front discs/rear drums, and a reverse pattern, manual valve body because I want to have to drive my car (no track, just cruising). I drive a 2006 KME Fire Engine for a living and, although the newer KME is safe, it is boring...push button automatic tranny, push button pump-shift, smooth-as-silk power steering, air conditioned, fully enclosed cab with plush seating. Its like your in a limo! But it better be for $300,000! Thats my personal take on it.
Have Fun,
Forrest

-
Back