power steering box removal w/ engine in

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the PS box with the engine still in the car. Looks to me like I will have to drop the K at minimum. Any secrets I may be overlooking?

i got my manual steering box out in my 440 duster with tti 2 inch headers without removing anything else, i imagine you can remove a power steer gear box out as well depending on engine and header combination

I'm about to do this in my 68 Barracuda with a 340 in it, looks like I will have to pull the driver's side exhaust manifold is all to get it out. Possibly the brake master.

Depends on the motor...I pulled mine out from the top on a slant 6 car. Small block? Pull the column, remove driver side exhaust manifold, detach pass side exhaust, loosen motor mounts, pull distributor, remove power str pump and brackets, raise engine with block of wood under the pan.

340 car. My PS box is really loose, bolts getting ready to fall out. I was going to pull it and replace seals but I think I will just tighten the bolts for now. I looked at it again and there is a slight possibility it may come up if the exhaust manifold and booster is removed.
I think I will just tighten the bolts back up and wait for warm weather for this one.

I just exchanged my original box for a Borgeson unit. I have a 340 with headers. That driver's side header is in two parts which I removed. Loosened the motor mounts. Then I used a small bottle jack on top of a floor jack and a piece of pressure treated wood to straddle all of the bolts along the oil pan on the right side to tilt the motor. I pulled the box up and forward and out the top. Not pretty but effective! Good opportunity to freshen those mounting biscuits too. Hope that's helpful, good luck

It comes out from the bottom. I do not recall ever having to move the motor or anything else.

Mines a 67 w/273. I swapped from manual box to power box a few years back. Working on jack stands, I unbolted the Y pipe from both manifolds and dropped the starter ( no mini starter here ). Maybe I went to too much trouble. I had ample space to get that heavy box in place and hold it there while starting the bolts. Clean flat mating surfaces, a drop of locktite, evenly torqued. They haven't loosened.
You can just hit them with a impact but they may loosen again in a short time. These 3 bolts always have been a issue for Chrysler. Special bolts and locktite were employed here. Good luck

-
Back