Status
Not open for further replies.

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Contact seller
I need a power steering control valve for a 68 power steering box in good working order. This is the valve that the hoses hook up to and is held on by 2 small bolts. PM me with what you have. Thanks, Tracy

...............i dont think i have 1 that old anymore........do other years fit..........kim.........

Not really sure what all years fit but I do have another box from a 66 valiant and it is the same, unfortunately it has a burr that I just can't seem to get polished off and it hangs up.

this is what i have

Attachments

• summer2011 193.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 327
What does that valve do?

There is a little stub sticking out from inside the PS box under this valve that moves back and forth when you turn the steering wheel and controls a spool valve inside this valve that determines what side of the power steering chamber to send oil pressure to. If it's off center or stuck it can do crazy stuff. Mine is sticking and I've polished and polished and just can't seem to get it to operate smooth. Thought I had it but the other morning I went out and started the car and good thing I wasn't holding onto the steering wheel cause it started spinning to the right as fast as it could.

I'd better salvage the one off of this broken unit I have.

There is a little stub sticking out from inside the PS box under this valve that moves back and forth when you turn the steering wheel and controls a spool valve inside this valve that determines what side of the power steering chamber to send oil pressure to. If it's off center or stuck it can do crazy stuff. Mine is sticking and I've polished and polished and just can't seem to get it to operate smooth. Thought I had it but the other morning I went out and started the car and good thing I wasn't holding onto the steering wheel cause it started spinning to the right as fast as it could.

Sounds like another part than needs to be saved for future use.

These cannot just be bolted on. The have to be centered and tightened on a hydralic pressre unit. Once you take this off the box. The box has to be sent out and be calibrated when reinstalled. Good luck.

These cannot just be bolted on. The have to be centered and tightened on a hydralic pressre unit. Once you take this off the box. The box has to be sent out and be calibrated when reinstalled. Good luck.

Hum...I agree you can't just bolt them on as they have to be centered once installed but "tightened on a hyd. pressure unit"? My factory service manuals (I have a 68 and a 70 manual) go into detail on rebuilding the PS box and tell how to center the control valve but say nothing about that. Although this is only the 2nd PS box I've worked on I have worked on hydraulic systems for over 20 yrs. on all sorts of equipment and never ran into anything like that. I also know of no sort of calibration that you can do to the power steering box, other than center the valve once it's installed. I rebuilt the PS box according to the factory serv. manual and what I see is the PS box has a pivot lever sticking up through it that moves as soon as you turn the steering wheel one way or the other and that pivot lever moves the spool in the control valve to send hyd. pressure to one oil port or the other depending on which way you turn the wheel. The reason I need a control valve is the spool is sloppy in the bore and leaking past. Even though I have worked on a lot of hyd. systems in the past I'm not all knowing and would love to see where you got your information from. Thanks for your input.

That's my understanding too. I've swapped a bunch of those and sold even more. Getting them centered can take patience but I've never seen one that wouldn't work being transfered from one box to another.

Just a note to say thanks again to VDart for the great deal on the valve and it works great and solved the problem. These are a little touchy but in no way impossible to get perfectly centered with just regular hand tools. I've found that if you jack the front end up so there is no friction of the wheels turning you can fine tune it quicker and easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back