Power Steering hose for '65 273 Barracuda

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What are others using for PS pressure hose replacements early A body 273 cars? I have the original well worn 2267598, and am having a hard time finding a replacement. Parts book shows a different part number for the 6 cyl cars. RockAuto shows the Sunsong 3401538 for the 273 application, but it looks different, has anyone installed one of these?

I took my leaking pressure hose off my 66 Barracuda 273 to a local hydraulic shop. They made a replacement for $50 and hasn't leaked since i got it 4 or 5 years ago.

Take yours to a local place that makes hydraulic hoses and have them make you one. I used to do it all the time for people when I worked at Oreilly. But I kept our hydraulic hose and fitting isles SLAM PACKED with stock.

If you like an original type look, I got mine at Layson's.
I looked at Layson's PS hose on their site. It is similar to the factory hose, but not the same, it doesn't have the U shaped tube where it attaches to the pump. That's fine with me as I have not had good results finding a local hydraulic hose supplier to make me one. What they did offer was to reuse my metal parts, but the U shaped metal tube would be shortened (cut back to install a new fitting) and not come out at the same angle. I rather just get a replacement like the Layson's or Mopar Mall offering and have it all new.

:thumbsup:

I have spoken with Bob on the phone about this......

This is the hose we offer......

Part# NP-7967, $89.00
1687217244792.png

If desperate someday, you can re-rubber yours. I've done that for AC hoses, using a Mastercool crimper, but p.s. hoses likely need more rugged ferrules than AC, so the hydraulic shop suggestion is good. Indeed, I recall having my 1965 C-body hoses re-rubbered at one in Atlanta many years ago (only ~$8 each). I re-rubbered the h.p. p.s. hose in my 1985 M-B, but it has "field-repairable" fittings which unscrew from the hose (Gates?). I used 2-wire 3000 psig hydraulic hose even though M-B used just nylon reinforced hose (rated ~1000 psig). The h.p. p.s. hose in my 1965 C-body has the same fittings as my 1965 Dart on each end (recall), but the hose doesn't have that inline splice to change hose size in the middle. It is likely slightly longer, but "should work". Ditto for 1965 B-body, which I recall is identical to A-body.

-
Back