Power steering hose, what to use?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
so I'm keeping the serpentine setup on my 5.9 swap.
So I need a hose to connect the magnum ps pump to the 68 dart steering box. My original dart hose actually has the correct ends on it but is too long and shaped wrong.

Anyone have a p/n for a hose that might work, or did you have a custom hose made or what?

Last edited:
It would be very inexpensive to have a new one made up for you. Being custom made you have complete freedom to design it exactly the way you want. Check for a local business that makes a/c , hydraulic hoses in your area

Yes, there is a fastener store in my area (as an example) than can often take the pump end of one hose and the gear end of the other hose and crimp on a new hose.

Just make sure the magnum pump isn't metric thread. With some of this stuff you never know. Why we ever went metric with cars I'll never know. It sure made it tuff for us, but craftsman made out well selling us metric tools.

i dont know about the 68s, as mine is a 72, but i used a standard hose for a 72 v8 on my magnum pump.

I had a 83 Chrysler 2.2 and had to replace the leaking P/S pump. I had to search for a 17mm claw foot wrench to remove it. I don't remember if it was for the hose or an attaching bolt. Back then even Sears didn't have it. I was lucky enough to get one in a set with several sizes.

I tried my old dart hose last night. Way too long and not shaped right.
I started cutting up the old hose and reshaping the metal tubing part of it, just so I have an example of what I need when I go to get a custom one made. That will probably be my quickest solution if I can find some local who can make a new hose

Ok I think I got this figured out and I don't even need a custom hose.
I bought a new hose for a 72 Dart with V8.
At first looking at it, it seemed to long. I just wanted the rubber part of the hose to curve towards the passenger side, and then the bend in the hard line pointing the connector forward into the pump.

What I finally figured out, it needs to go forward and down a little, then a hard curve towards the rear, and a slight twist and it lined right up and connected no problem.

Anyway heres a couple pics.

IMG_20170812_132540482.jpg

View attachment 1715081748

IMG_20170812_132531802.jpg

-
Back