power steering lines

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
ok heres my latest woe which I need to get fixed...
the bottom power steering line coming out of the pump is leaking at the bend just after it comes out of the pump.

I've been throwing fluid in it as it goes but its leaking real fast now, so I need to fix that leak.

my question is where can i get a line to replace the leaking one? do these come prebent or do i just go to a hardware store and pick something like this up and bend it as needed. the only power steering lines i see online are rubber hoses, not metal like what I have.

I'll talk to someone who knows more about cars tomorrow, but you guys are the experts so inform me please.

(its leaking at that sharp kink in the second photo)

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2227.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2228.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 161
Hardware store, no. Your choices are:

Legit parts store if they still show application. Many replacement hoses come "in pieces" to cut down on stock, that is, the catalogue will should and end metal piece, which screws to a hose, which screws to another metal end, etc.

These pieces may NOT look original, but "may" fit

Second choice is a big hydraulic hose place. Some of these joints have some of the same stuff mentioned first, and can often cut off and use your original metal ends if they are OK.

Third choice is the 'ol boneyard, junker, wherever you find it.

On hoses with good metal ends, we used to cut off the metal, and Weatherhead used to make clamp on (compression fitting) hose ends for the purpose.

Many pumps/ boxes, especially newer ones, tend to use stupid idiotic proprietary ends

bummer not really what I wanted to hear but thanks for info.

looks like a gerryrig might be incall. Any idea if I have to restrict myself to 67-69 darts/valiants, or any a-body when junk yard hunting?
thanks

-
Back