power steering pitman and idler arm on Manual

-

SirDan

Reaction score
I had a friend say i could use my power steering pitman and idler with my manual box. is this true? if so is there any negative effects? if not true is the idler the same between to two? or do i need to but a new pitman and idler? damn new pitman arm on rockauto is 50 bucks! as usual im looking for the cheap way out here. :D

Probably not. One is large sector shaft the other is smaller. Can't remember which is which off the top of my head. Idler is the same though.

well thats good if the idler is the same! my box came with a pitman arm but i don't know what it goes to. it seems to be in decent shape. I hope its an a body arm. but even if its not I'm glad to know i only have to spend 50 bucks on one arm and not have to get an idler since my idler and pitman arm is brand new on my power steering setup. I just HATE the feel, I'm not a grandma i don't want to turn the wheel with my pinky.

.........U can get a shim kit 2 vary the pump pressure..........kim........

yeah i heard about that. I thought about going that way but I'm sticking to small blocks and this is a light car. I think ill like the manual better than even a firm power steering. I'm youthful too so the exercise is wonderful.

How does a shim kit work and where do you get one?

There was an article in one of the Mopar magazines a few months back & it was discussed some here. It involved shimming something, I think in the steering box (I'm not a power steering guy) that increased the "road feel" & reduced the power assist of the box. It was pretty simple as I recall.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought I remember seeing that power and manual were the same arm up to a certain year. I think I was checking Mancini or something because I know I need to upgrade my idler when I put in my new K frame. You might check all the listings they have on their site and maybe even call them or Rock Auto and see if they know if there's a difference.

You can find out if they are the same really quick with a hex socket or caliper. If the hex nut below the pitman arms are the same size they are interchangeable.

i was looking for a pitman arm the other day and mine was around 100 so if you think 50 is bad... dont forget you need to do something with your steering column. there is a good chance the pitman arm will swap but there is large and small sector. idler arm will work.

I put a Flamming River manual box on my car, that had P/S, and the pitman arm went right on the manual gear. I did'nt change anything other than the gear box and the joint on the steering column shaft.

-
Back