Power steering pulley diameter question

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
So what's the main difference in the different size pump pulleys? Does it have an effect on pressure output due to mechanical advantage or what? I need to order a pulley for a federal pump I have and am not sure what size to go with. Any input is appreciated.

Power steering pumps make much more pressure and gpm than is required. The excess is dumped through a pressure control valve and the fact that its a vein pump ( by design ). So a smaller pulley wouldn't make it easier to steer. I don't think there is room for a pulley so large that steering effort would increase. You would need to alter the valve to lower pressure/increase effort.

Are there different diameter pulleys available for the Federal PS Pump?

I ordered and installed one from www.marchperf.com for my Dart GT (with the Federal PS Pump). If I remember correctly it is ~7" in diameter just as the factory pulley was.
:burnout:

I know the slant six is bigger than the V8, what are you working on?

So it's a 65 Dart Gt, just put a later model 360 in it that I built but all the old power steering pump, brackets etc was for the older style motor. I got a federal pump and brackets and was told that the Saginaw and federal were the same keyway pulley. Is this right? I thought they were 7 inch as well. Summit says its 6 5/8 or something like that. Whatever I just want to get this thing on the road.

The federal pump has a pressed on pulley, no key way, I will measure the pulleys tonight, I have both pump setups in the shop.

OK, here's the measurements I got on the pulleys, 1968 federal pump, 5 in. 1969 saginaw pump aprox 6 1/2, hard to measure in car, and 1971 federal is 7 in. These are all for small block. Hope this helps.

The pulleys do not interchange between brands.
I dont like the Federal pumps.The few Ive had are too slow. They seem to crap out on fast left /right maneuvers, overheating the oil and puking it out, and losing boost at the most inopportune times. The Saginaw seems to keep up ok.
I had to bother the parts guys at my local parts house to let me browse through the catalog to find a pressure hose to connect the Saginaw to my 71 360 with a 73 box, on a 70 K, in a 68 Bcuda. Found one that fit. Didnt record the PN.

My pump has a keyway and nut. It's not a pressed fit. I'm guessing the diameter of the pulley is irrelevant if I don't have one to begin with. Thanks on the measurements Doc I appreciate it. Probably go with the size inbetween.

-
Back