Power steering pulley removal

-

Josecuda

Reaction score
Hi there. I am planning on rebuilding a p/s pump I have in storage to use in the duster. Does anyone know how to remove the pump's pulley?

Hi there. I am planning on rebuilding a p/s pump I have in storage to use in the duster. Does anyone know how to remove the pump's pulley?

Easy, It will be MUCH easier with an impact or air ratchet. MOST autoparts stores rent or loan PS pulley remover/installer tools. You just set it up and crank on the corkscrew. To install all you need is a Boly about 4" long that will thread into the pulley shaft, A big washer, some oil and a big nut. Algned the pulley on the shaft, dip bolt, washer and nut in oil, thread nut onto bolt then washer. Screw bolt through pullet and into shaft. All you have to do is tighten down the nut while holding the bolt still in a vise or with another wrench. Hope that helps.

Here is said tool....
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009OR93S/?tag=joeychgo-20

What daght said. Whatever you do don't use a gear pulled. You will bend the pulley all to he'll.

Do you have a Harbor Freight near you... You can get the same kit for about half the price...

You do need the correct tools and if you want to borrow Awfulzones' tools and screw them up go for it. Everyone else does. If you buy the tools dont use an impact on them. The threads are not the right design for power transmission. Use end wrenches on gear pullers, spring compressors, and other such screw based tools and they might last a lifetime.

-
Back