Power steering pulley

-

jrc4y4

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new (sorry if this is a repeat thread) here. I have a 72 Scamp with a 318 that has been rebuilt. The power steering pulley was slightly (like 1/4 to 1/2 inch) forward in relation to the other pulleys. This resulted in a squeeling belt any time I was above 2200 RPMs. Well, I am lazy and this has been going on for a good long while but the pump finally started leaking so I decided to change it and go ahead and try to straighten out the pulley as well. I pulled off the pulley (with some help of long poles to get the leverage) and am getting ready to put it back on. Is there any way I can put it further down the shaft of the new pump than it was on the original pump? On the old pump it seemed that there was some room to where the pulley could have been pushed back further on the shaft, does anyone know if this is true? Some of my brackets are powdercoated from the rebuild so I think that may be some reason for the spacing. Any other ideas as I do not want to put it all back together with the same results. Also, how do I get the pulley onto the new pump? Thanks.

First off, do you have a pulley install tool? You can probably get one from the parts store rental. Are you sure you replaced it with the pump that was on there? ie, federal pump? If there is room on the shaft, I can't imagine why you couldn't run the pulley down to where it is inline.

I have a pulley puller kit (from Harbor Freight so you know it's good haha). I don't know that it has anything to install the pulley itself. I believe it was a Federal pump. The shaft looks the same as do the hookups for the lines and bracket.

you need to get a pulley install tool, very easy to use. Basically works the same, only in reverse. A lot of times on engine replacements, you may not have the stock pump for that car and the brackets will be different. I had to move the shroud to get the pulley on mine.
Good luck

Ok cool, I appreciate it! I will post once I get it on or if I have any hiccups in the meantime. Thank you.

-
Back