Power steering pump rebuild

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I need to reseal/rebuild my power steering pump on my 68 340. I have the kit and I am ready to tackle the job but I`m unsure of how to remove the pulley. The service manual says use tool # blah blah. All I have is your standard puller. Here`s a couple pics.

IM000742.jpg

IM000739.jpg

LongGone-I have a similar situation. A 73 /6 Valiant 4 door just arrived at the local U-Pull-It. It has the Federal pump on it just like my 340 Dart. The only difference is the pulley. The /6 pulley is solid and sticks out about an inch farther than the V8 pulley.
The big problem is I can't remember how the pulley comes off.

Can anybody set us straight??

When I replaced the pump for the Dart I had to swap the pulley onto the new pump.
Autozone has the puller/installer for free, pay a deposit and get it back at return,
it worked real good. You could probably get the pulley off with yours but don't know about back on.

LongGone-I have a similar situation. A 73 /6 Valiant 4 door just arrived at the local U-Pull-It. It has the Federal pump on it just like my 340 Dart. The only difference is the pulley. The /6 pulley is solid and sticks out about an inch farther than the V8 pulley.
The big problem is I can't remember how the pulley comes off.

Can anybody set us straight??

I ended up just using a generic puller and attached it behind the pulley and to the shaft and started torquing on it. Just as I thought something was going to bust/bend the pulley popped loose. I thought for sure that I had busted something but no,....didn`t even dent the pulley. They`re a press fit (at least on my style pump) ,just really tight after 40 years!

I'm in the same stage of trying to remove the pulley. I have the same unit that you have 68 340. I installed the standard puller connecting to the front of the pulley using the hex shaped nut on the front soaking the shaft with PB Blaster for a couple of days. I tighten the puller a couple of times but no luck. I did not want to connect the puller to the back of the pulley thinking I would damage the pulley. I'll give it try and see what happens. Let u no

I replaced the pump, Advanced Auto ...$60 plus core, I bought the puller and installer but you can get the tools on loan from Advanced. $30 deposit and you get it back when the tool is returned.

im just getting a reman one from Napa. just easier that way. lol

I replaced the pump, Advanced Auto ...$60 plus core, I bought the puller and installer but you can get the tools on loan from Advanced. $30 deposit and you get it back when the tool is returned.

im just getting a reman one from Napa. just easier that way. lol

I found a listing for the reman pumps ,but when it came time to physically put one in my hand, there wasn`t a dealer here that could get one. The rebuild kit was only 16 bucks and I now have intimate knowledge of my power steering pump.

I would not use a regular gear puller to remove the pulley. Only a slight deflection and the pulley will wobble and could cause a problem with the belt

Getting it off with the correct puller is easy, I borrowed one from a guy I know, but as others have stated Many auto parts stores have loaner tools for free, just have to leave a deposit

There should be threads in the shaft on the pump, these are to remove/install the pulley

I work at Ford in the area that builds Power Steering pumps. They are really simple and few parts, but what I do is air test them before function test. A small scratch on the shaft or a groove worn into the 40 year old shaft might not give you the leak free results you are looking for.

I have some special tools to disassemble the pumps that leak. The biggest problem is a seal damage when installed or shafts that have a fine line in the seam.

Make sure you have everything as clean as possible when building. Use some light oil to lube the seals and O rings, and NEVER force it together.

I had a Federal pump on my 340 before changing to a March Billet pump when I installed the serpentine belts and pulleys

I found a listing for the reman pumps ,but when it came time to physically put one in my hand, there wasn`t a dealer here that could get one. The rebuild kit was only 16 bucks and I now have intimate knowledge of my power steering pump.

Yeah that's the response I got from one parts warehouse. Was going to Napa because I saw it listed online. Rockauto.com has it listed too. I may call them first since they had my rear drums shipped to me really quick. $16 bucks ain't bad, but neither is $72 for a reman. Hope I can find one and if not I've got buddies at the local Dodge dealership.

doh. Guess I'm going to rebuild mine too. I'm not chancing getting a POS reman since my housing looks really good and is original. Hope it goes pretty easy.

Dave, I even got to the point where one company said, "we have one in Arizona", after I paid for it and waited a week they came back with "we are presently unable to fill your order at this time"........ Whatever? I just bought the kit local and installed it in about an hour. You`re fortunate to be able to get one.

-
Back