Power Steering Questions

-

marianamaya

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding power steering to my 1970 Slant 6.

I know that I need to add the following:

Power Steering Pump & Bracket
Power Steering Gear (Box)
Power Steering Column (with coupler)- Automatic Trans.

1. Am I missing something?
2. Are these parts different between a /6 and a V8?

The reason that I am asking # 2 is that I have a 340 also.

Thanks,

Pete

There is a wide variety of pumps, brackets, and pulleys. The steering gears are only 2 different ones for the different year models. Best advise I can offer is to look at the pitman arm you have now. If the nut and cotter pin where it attaches to the drag link is on the bottom you want to say the same.
Too many have already discovered these parts dont mix and match. To buy the wrong steering gear would force you to buy a centerlink and idler arm with the matching configuration.
Hope this helps

Brackets & hoses are definitely different between 6 & V8. Pumps should be the same but you would need to change the brackets. You need to know if it's a TRW or a Federal or a Saginaw type pump. I believe the steering boxes are the same too.

I've got a PS box from a 76 Duster. I'll have to check and see what else I've got... Might have the entire system, plus I'm close...

Riddler

A bodies 63-72 used the same "small sector" steering gearbox. The studs from the Pitman arm and idler arm point upward into the center link (nuts on top). I think the TRW pump is the only one with brackets for the early cast-iron water pump (lower radiator hose on driver's side). The alumuinum water pump (only Federal or Saginaw p.s. pump brackets) started in 1970 or 1971 (forgot).

Hydraulic hose fittings varied with year. TRW pumps have a female inverted flare at the pump's high pressure outlet and the gearbox (usually) had a male flare fitting. Those hoses were usually 2-piece with 2 different sizes joined by a center crimp coupling. Later systems had an O-ring fitting on both ends of the high pressure hose. Return fittings are hose nipples w/ clamps. Early ones are a bigger diameter. Both inlet and outlet fittings on the gearbox are bolt-on and can be swapped. Pump pulleys were all over the place, I think varying even in the same year whether AC or not. Hope this helps.

You can find brackets for cast iron water pump and saginaw steering pump. I have one on my truck.

-
Back