Power steering retrofit 1967 Dart

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking to install power steering on a 1967 Dart GT. Has a 340, but with old style cast iron water pump with drivers side lower radiator hose. Can somebody take a few pics of how this is supposed to look (brackets, mounting, etc.)??? Owner (old friend's widow) can't drive the car easily with Manual steering. Trying to avoid changing water pump and radiator...

Here is mine, 1967 Barracuda 273 (should be the same)
2018-07-19_012.jpg

2018-07-19_014.jpg

Alan

existing pump is a Saginaw out of a 72 Dart but we'll probably install a new rebuilt pump, so could use a Federal like in the pictures above. What is the third type???.

I think that I will post a want ad for brackets for an iron pump set up. Can somebody tell me what years they used that pump on? I assume it stared in 1964 with the introduction of the 273 and I know that they changed by 1970, but not sure exactly when.

There were Saginaw, Federal, and TRW pumps in those early cars. I would go with Saginaw if you're starting from scratch. Most of those were in the '67-9 models. The problem you may have with your '72 Saginaw is finding the correct pulley for it. Saginaw used 2 different press-on pulleys and one bolt-on. Getting the correct diameter, type, and offset pulley can be a real chore......sometimes unobtainium. Best to find a complete setup from one source. If you're willing to go with one of the other brand pumps, there again, get a complete setup including the crank pulley. Any '69 and earlier small block will work including poly 318's. I'd avoid the "rubberized" style crank pulleys though. They're just a failure waiting to happen.

Here’s a Saginaw pump in a 67 barracuda, I did have it tweak the high pressure line a bit.

6BDB8E52-21C5-403D-8230-637026E3B03B.jpeg

-
Back