Power trunk release

-

stormydart

Reaction score
I installed a power trunk release on my 72 dart. What gauge wite should I run to the back. Thanks

Please show pics and parts. I'd love to do this.

Go with 14. The draw is momentary,but it will pull better with the heavier gauge wire.

I'm thinking that actuator has a 4 or 5 inch pig tail lead made onto it. Its about 18 gauge? Whatever it is should be sufficient.

Please show pics and parts. I'd love to do this.
Go to the junk yard and find an 80s Chrysler. Open the glove box and yank the switch along with the electric trunk lock. Tap into your passenger door jam switch for the hot wire. Go ahead and grab the jam switch also as it will have a double plug. Very easy to wire up. The most expensive part will be the roll of wire you need to get to the trunk from the switch!

Yep, like tooljunkie said 14 would be good.

I ran a cable pull solenoid to pop hatch of my ramcharger. It had a 14 gauge wire on it.
I also have one on the carb in my power wagon to kick it while running on remote start.

14 is WAY too big

I think even 16 is also unnecessarily large.

...and just for the record the bolt pattern is also the same as the hood latch, if you trust an electrical solenoid there.

One neat install I once saw here... The owner either already had or added the factory remote hood pull under his dash. He made a small sheet metal bracket to attach to the side of that and placed his trunk release button right there. So both in the one location, rather than having the trunk button hidden in the glove box.

-
Back