powerglide to mopar small block adapter questions

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey all
I have a 360 magnum and a powerglide I want to put behind it.
What is the best way.
I see I can get a JW bellhousing but I see I can also get adapter plates etc. Do I need both or just one or the other.
Thanks macca

I have to ask, why on earth would you put such an inferior transmission behind your 360 magnum?!

You can get a 904 or 727 cheap

Hey all
I have a 360 magnum and a powerglide I want to put behind it.
What is the best way.
I see I can get a JW bellhousing but I see I can also get adapter plates etc. Do I need both or just one or the other.
Thanks macca

In my opinion the best way is a mid plate adapter - no cutting of the bellhousing and if you decide to change things you're not left with a Frankenstein transmission that takes forever to sell.

Coan Racing Home Page

I have to ask, why on earth would you put such an inferior transmission behind your 360 magnum?!

While I would never do this for a milder / street build you better do some research. Some of the "pretty fast" cars either run something like a turbo 400 launched in 2nd, OR A POWERGLIDE

They call this a Superglide, but under it all, a "PG" "is what it is"

ATI Powerglide - Superglide 4® Drag Racing Transmission

sg4.jpg

OP.......A few guys on here have put 200R4/ 2004R transmissions in their cars. I bet the adaption is similar

Here

ATI Adapter Kits 915250

Don't forget that with the PG to Mopar Engine, you'll also have to have a special converter made up. Powerglide back side and internals, but with a Chrysler front cover(engine side). Not a big deal to get made by someone competent, but not inexpensive. The shop that I worked for did many of these types of converters for MOPAR, GM, & FORD engines with different brands of transmissions. My ex-employers car runs a 500 cu. in. Steve Schmidt GM motor and it has a 904 behind it.
You'll still need to adapt the block to the transmission, and when you get the converter made you need to tell the converter company how thick the plate is.

Don't forget that with the PG to Mopar Engine, you'll also have to have a special converter made up. Powerglide back side and internals, but with a Chrysler front cover(engine side). Not a big deal to get made by someone competent, but not inexpensive. The shop that I worked for did many of these types of converters for MOPAR, GM, & FORD engines with different brands of transmissions. My ex-employers car runs a 500 cu. in. Steve Schmidt GM motor and it has a 904 behind it.
You'll still need to adapt the block to the transmission, and when you get the converter made you need to tell the converter company how thick the plate is.

The adapter plate I linked uses a GM converter. The only special requirement is it's +.250 to account for plate thickness but that's common.

Thanks for the replys, I am pushing close to 800hp at the crank and the cost of building and maybe repairing a 727 in Australia is just crazy. The powerglide transmissions are very common here so the cost is much less. The powerglide trans I have is a upgraded 6 cylinder one so it ha the removable bellhousing. I'm trying to find the easiest and most cost effective way to do it.

I can buy a bolt on JW bellhousing here for $750 aussie dollars. Then I would need a custom converter.
But I heard there was a kit I could buy that allows me to use the JW bellhousing and it comes with a flywheel and crank mounting boss to allow me to use a standard GM converter but I cant seem to find the kit.

Does anyone know If I was to go with the Middle plate set up what convertor I would run and how do I fit the big square plate in the engine bay? Do I fit it to the trans/engine and trim off all the excess?
Sorry the coan link just went to their home page.

Thanks for the replys, I am pushing close to 800hp at the crank and the cost of building and maybe repairing a 727 in Australia is just crazy. The powerglide transmissions are very common here so the cost is much less. The powerglide trans I have is a upgraded 6 cylinder one so it ha the removable bellhousing. I'm trying to find the easiest and most cost effective way to do it.

I can buy a bolt on JW bellhousing here for $750 aussie dollars. Then I would need a custom converter.
But I heard there was a kit I could buy that allows me to use the JW bellhousing and it comes with a flywheel and crank mounting boss to allow me to use a standard GM converter but I cant seem to find the kit.

Does anyone know If I was to go with the Middle plate set up what convertor I would run and how do I fit the big square plate in the engine bay? Do I fit it to the trans/engine and trim off all the excess?
Sorry the coan link just went to their home page.

I assume you have a cage with 800 hp? Build your mid plate support down from the dash bar and tie it in below to the frame rail. You don't leave it square, you trim it down.

The coan website has changed quite a bit, I didn't see the exact kit I was trying to find - just call em they're very helpful.

I am running a stock A518 trans at the moment but it wont last long as I keep burning the oil. It is giving me mid 600s HP at the wheels but because the stock A518 cant handle the power I am running in the high 10s down the quarter mile. New trans will be a massive improvement I hope. We don't need to run a cage in our cars here in Australia until we go faster than 10-5 quarter so I am not running a cage yet.
Yesterday I found a guy selling a JW bellhousing and an adapter boss kit so I can run a GM converter and flexplate and starter.
I thing it will be easiest to just buy this so if I want to change stalls etc down the track I wont need to have a custom converter made each time.
Thanks for the help everyone;)

You totally missed where he is from.
The PG can be built stupid super strong cheaper.
Check the list of really fast Chevy’s. And what they run.
Inferior? You need to do some checking.

-
Back