PowerSteering

-
And just barely loosen the bolts holding the control valve or you'll have fluid everywhere. I loosen them enough to where I can just move the valve by tapping it with a hammer. Like 66fyssh said, a tiny change can have a dramatic impact. Move the valve until there is no steering wheel movement one way or the other when starting/stopping the engine.

I loosened the valve and moved it back and forth. The wheels stay straight no matter what is done with the valve. I thought maybe the rebuilder left the spool spindle out so I removed the valve. The spool spindle is there! The hoses are clear. This car goes on the sale block!

Looks like you got a pump which fits. 1965 had the TRW pump. I recall an inverted flare fitting on the HP port and a large return hose (1/2"D?). The later Federal pump (~1967+) looks very similar but the rear reservoir bolts differ and thus the brackets. I recall the HP port is SAE flare and the return hose smaller (3/8"?). The even later Saginaw pump (1973+?) looks much different, with oblong reservoir, O-ring HP port (and return?) and different brackets. The ports at the gear also vary over the years, though those ports bolt on so can be swapped between gears, I recall. 1973+ gears also had a larger diameter output shaft (same as earlier C-body). Pulleys also vary, which can affect where the V-belt sits relative to the pump. I even found that the TRW pump in my 1965 C-body has a larger diameter shaft than the TRW pump in my 1965 Dart. No wonder the suppliers also get confused.

No matter where I move the control valve it turns left. I just called Firm Feel and they tell me I have an internal problem in the gear box.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem in my 1969 Dart's power steering gear. When a younger fool, I tried rebuilding it myself to stop a leak. With what I know today, I would have just replaced the sector shaft seal in-car (remove snap-lock and use pressure of running to pop seal out). Twice I put it in the car and it kept self-steering hard. Like you, shifting the valve body didn't center it. I gave up and bought a rebuilt gear which worked. As an older fool, I tried again on my 1965 Dart and got it right. The trick is to turn the input shaft to keep the internal plates all aligned (ccw I recall), until you slide the main unit in and tighten the large threaded ring. If not, the plates can shift and jam out of place. Seems I read that in a manual. One I should have read when younger and more hyper. The instructions in the rebuild kit were sketchy, with tiny diagrams which could barely be resolved. There might be only 2 Edelmann rebuild kits, one for A, B, E bodies until 1972 and one for 1973+ and C-body (all years).

Here's the update on my power steering troubles. Last week I removed the steering gear and power steering pump, boxed them, and hide them in the shed. I ordered a manual gear with pitman arm, a Steering Spline Adapter from eBay. When the parts arrived, the pitman arm had been cut off with a torch. NAPA overnighted a pitman arm for $55. Four hours later I drove the car. Drives great!! Why the hell didn't I do that a year ago? Oh well, old men do stupid things. Thanks so much for all the suggestions and advice. This Forum is super!

-
Back