pre-oiling

-

j.d.duggan

Reaction score
can I do this by myself? From what I,ve read I spin the pump and turn the motor over slowly.But I thought I read something about spinning the pump at tdc,then turning 90* spinning again,then anouther 90* spinning,and so on and so on till you had turned the engine over 2 full turns.Is this correct?THANKS:realcrazy:

can I do this by myself? From what I,ve read I spin the pump and turn the motor over slowly.But I thought I read something about spinning the pump at tdc,then turning 90* spinning again,then anouther 90* spinning,and so on and so on till you had turned the engine over 2 full turns.Is this correct?THANKS:realcrazy:
Get a priming rod if you don't already have one. They are less then $10 and you can find them on Ebay or any of the major parts sites. Hook to your drill and run on high speed. I leave the valve covers off so I can see the flow up to each of the heads. Just turn the crank until you get flow on one side then turn the crank some more until you get flow on the other. Using 2 people helps but I have no issues on my own. There is no need to keep the drill running while you spin the crank. You can start at TDC or not, it really doesn't matter.

Somewhere on this board is an old thread showing the degrees at crank to set for oil hole alignment.

I swear to goodness it's like deja vu didn't we cover this entire thing on Monday? You have absolutely nobody who can pull the trigger on a drill for you while you're cranking motor? I wish you were closer by I would have my wife come over and do it for you...

You can do it yourself, don't need to bother anyone. you can run the drill, turn the crank an 1/8 of a turn, run the drill, turn the crank 1/8 turn and repeat till both rocker shafts have oil coming out.

You can do it yourself, don't need to bother anyone. you can run the drill, turn the crank an 1/8 of a turn, run the drill, turn the crank 1/8 turn and repeat till both rocker shafts have oil coming out.
Please look at the thread Pre oil the lifters that he had on Monday and tell me this wasn't covered 10 times from Sunday?..

Please look at the thread Pre oil the lifters that he had on Monday and tell me this wasn't covered 10 times from Sunday?..
LOL... guess I missed it... and I guess he/she didn't quite understand.

LOL... guess I missed it... and I guess he/she didn't quite understand.
please review my post in that thread and tell me if there was something that could be misunderstood? I guess anything's could be misunderstood by anybody but...

I swear to goodness it's like deja vu didn't we cover this entire thing on Monday? You have absolutely nobody who can pull the trigger on a drill for you while you're cranking motor? I wish you were closer by I would have my wife come over and do it for you...

Remote start switch, lets you do it yourself. Lots of options and if you are clever you can probably make one with parts you already have laying around. I don't trust my wife to do anything after I had her help me bleed the brakes and when we weren't getting anywhere figured out she was pushing the wrong pedal....

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP785...t=&hvlocphy=9018766&hvtargid=pla-572172822137

YOUR wife got it wrong too..... she was pumping the clutch!!!!
Oh my goodness don't you ever stop spreading false internet information?! I have to reboot this or once again this will become internet fact. Let me start by letting you know my wife has her degree in engineering and knows the difference between a gas pedal a clutch pedal and a brake pedal. I've never insult her intelligence by asking her if she's pushing the right pedal.
But on words to the Op's needs...
Yes unless you do get some kind of remote start system going here at break in there is going to be quite a bit to look at and watch and check. I usually try to get a friend or two along with my wife when I brake in one of my Motors. Just people to look at gauges and keep other things looked at while I'm running the timing gun and adjusting the distributor and carburetor. It's not something I recommend doing absolutely by yourself especially the very first time you do it.

Oh my goodness don't you ever stop spreading false internet information?! I have to reboot this or once again this will become internet fact. Let me start by letting you know my wife has her degree in engineering and knows the difference between a gas pedal a clutch pedal and a brake pedal. I've never insult her intelligence by asking her if she's pushing the right pedal.
But on words to the Op's needs...
Yes unless you do get some kind of remote start system going here at break in there is going to be quite a bit to look at and watch and check. I usually try to get a friend or two along with my wife when I brake in one of my Motors. Just people to look at gauges and keep other things looked at while I'm running the timing gun and adjusting the distributor and carburetor. It's not something I recommend doing absolutely by yourself especially the very first time you do it.
how do you know his wife wasn't pumping the clutch???? IF she was, then your wife got it wrong too. LOL

you got my phone number why don't you call me up and I'll let you talk to my wife and you can tell her how wrong she is?
You can also explain to me how every time I open the bleeder valve hydraulic fluid came out with a heavy pressure? Every time!

you got my phone number why don't you call me up and I'll let you talk to my wife and you can tell her how wrong she is?
Naw….. I'm just saying, if the other peddle jzigs wife was pumping was a clutch, then it wasn't the gas. Correct????? LOL

You can also explain to me how every time I open the bleeder valve hydraulic fluid came out with a heavy pressure? Every time!
Chill, Bill. LOL. I didn't say your wife doesn't know the difference between the gas and brake pedals. Nor did I insult your wife in any way. I just said, it could have been a clutch, and your wife said gas, then both got it wrong... LOL.... I doubt it was a clutch, but could have been....

Chill, Bill. LOL. I didn't say your wife doesn't know the difference between the gas and brake pedals. Nor did I insult your wife in any way. I just said, it could have been a clutch, and your wife said gas, then both got it wrong... LOL.... I doubt it was a clutch, but could have been....
Actually she's done it on the duster with the clutch and when it didn't have a clutch and I had an automatic in it a couple summers ago.
she still willing to talk to you about it? Now I warn you she's not a morning person and she's only had a half a cup of coffee so far you'll be on your own....

Actually she's done it on the duster with the clutch and when it didn't have a clutch and I had an automatic in it a couple summers ago.
she still willing to talk to you about it? Now I warn you she's not a morning person and she's only had a half a cup of coffee so far you'll be on your own....
LOL... and all I'd see the back side of Jaws running away.... I see how ya are...

YOUR wife got it wrong too..... she was pumping the clutch!!!!

No, unfortunately for my head, it was definitely the gas pedal. 98 Dakota 4x4 318/Auto. She's pumping the "brake" for 10-15 bleed cycles and I'm not getting anything out of the caliper. Frustrated, I thought maybe there was some thing special and it needed vacuum for the assist so I put the key in and started it for her then got back under the front wheel well. Told her "OK, pump it" and the engine bounced off the rev limiter, and my head bounced off the inside of the fender as I jumped back, completely startled. Said a few choice words and then we finished the job. Ordered a Motive bleeder kit that afternoon so I'd never have to go through that again. When I need to pedal bleed, I use my son who's big enough now and I make sure he's on the right pedal. So far, so good but I'm not getting rid of the Motive.

-
Back