Prelube degrees to get oil to top.

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my 273 for the first time and need to prelube it. I know the top end only oils at certain degrees of the crank/cam. I have a degree wheel accurately placed on my dampener and should be able to put it to the exact degrees needed. I also have a mechanical presure gauge in the oil pressure port for checking pressure and I will temp in a mechanical temperature gauge to monitor temperature during cam break in once it starts. I think I know the process but would like to know the degrees to get the oil to the top end. As always, any othere tips and do's and dont's are appreciated.
Thanks-----------DR-----------:)

Somebody will chime in but I never bothered with fancy degrees. If you get the oil pressure up, and slowly turn the crank by hand, you will "find" the right spots. Once, I even did this by myself, ran the drill with one hand, and operated the breaker bar on the crank with the other. Probably could not do that anymore, LOL

I just pulled valve covers off and dizzy out. Slowly turned crank and used a drill with extension to spin the pump. You'll see when oil gets to top end on each side.

^^^^ treed me. Lol

I cant say that every cam is drilled in the same spots. As mentioned, turn it over slowly until it gets oil. Next time I put one together I will groove the cam bearing journal for a constant supply.

70aarcuda (Tony) knows that. Hopefully he will chime in.

Isn't this already posted in a thread somewhere??
90 deg (1/4 turn) BTDC #1 compression-pass. 20 deg ATDC #6 compression-drivers. most dampeners have (3) partial slits in addition to the full TDC slit or if not, cut a strip of paper 5.694". use your dampener as a ruler to get from 15 to 20 deg.

-
Back