Premature wheel bearing failures.

-
Also be sure to follow proper torque procedure and specs. I “believe” the stub axle should be torqued to spec with weight off wheel. This also sets preload on bearings, remember it’s two tapered bearings in the hub. Much like the ones on our A bodies. The stub axle will be what sets that pre load by clamping the two tapered bearings towards one another when torqued to spec. Not saying it’s not just bad parts. I had an 04 4wd and had issues with items like this and I made a vow that if I buy another truck it’ll be at least 3/4 ton, the running gear is beefier.

I have owned a 2005 Dakota 4x2 for 3 years now and every 8-11 months I have to put wheel bearings in it,one side or the other fails, I think the failure is that its a 2 wheel drive with no axle stub in center of the bearing like on a 4x4 . but I keep replacing them under warranty don't seem to matter what brand I bought either.

Too tight- bearing fails
Too loose- bearing fails.
Tag a curb and bearing isnt long for this world.
I use anything but moog bearings,i use anything but moog front end parts. The quality isnt there any more.

he Moog picture shows a 2x bearing and your truck is a 4x4. Just saying the picture is wrong. You haven't told us any details about your truck/wheel/tire set-up, only that the bearings are no good. The factory bearing also went bad. What about that. Same side keeps wearing out. More to this story than we are being told.
Yea i agree there is something else going on for it to wear the same one out.
The setup up a 2001 1500 4x4 bone stock original wheels no lift kit original sized tires. No wheel spacer or any of that garb. I also agree with the other post about oversized tires.
Maybe a bad coil spring? Or bad shocks? Would that cause this? Putting all the shock of the road to the bearing instead of the spring?

Silly question: when was the last time you checked the union in the axle ( the u joint between the ball joints)?

A bad joint will cause premature wheel bearing AND keep eating new ones until replaced. And I don’t care who makes MOOG parts- they are still the better of all the brands. I just did moog front wheel bearings on my 2012 3500 diesel. $657 a pair. They were laser etched “Made in USA” with wheel speed sensors and all. $100 more per wheel than the others. Don’t trust the eBay made in China parts because you will be wasting your time. I’m sure the shop that first fixed the truck did not use junk parts. Something else is causing this issue.

he Moog picture shows a 2x bearing and your truck is a 4x4. Just saying the picture is wrong. You haven't told us any details about your truck/wheel/tire set-up, only that the bearings are no good. The factory bearing also went bad. What about that. Same side keeps wearing out. More to this story than we are being told.
I have to disagree with the picture shown comment that is not a 2wd hub! Why would a 2wd bearing have splines?

Silly question: when was the last time you checked the union in the axle ( the u joint between the ball joints)?

A bad joint will cause premature wheel bearing AND keep eating new ones until replaced. And I don’t care who makes MOOG parts- they are still the better of all the brands. I just did moog front wheel bearings on my 2012 3500 diesel. $657 a pair. They were laser etched “Made in USA” with wheel speed sensors and all. $100 more per wheel than the others. Don’t trust the eBay made in China parts because you will be wasting your time. I’m sure the shop that first fixed the truck did not use junk parts. Something else is causing this issue.
I changed the u joints when I replaced everything else. I replaced everything. The ujoint the hub the ball joints brakes everything is new.

Buddy of mine has 2006 Ram 4x4, his truck is addicted to wheel bearings and brakes. Since new and he is original owner.
Dealer does most of work on his truck.
He heard a bearing going on way home from work. Thought "I'll get that checked out". Well truck put him in the ditch next day. That's about 2 hours of driving from "warning" to "holy ****!"
Brakes are just as bad.
Wow that is some scary crap.
The first two gave no indication that it was bad no noise no steering wheel place nothing. They just had play that was found during the state inspection. This one was the same way i heard or felt nothing. I drove it home from work and it was fine the next morning I backed up and CRUNCH! No warning no indication whatsoever. Im just glad i was in the driveway and not on the interstate. I guess this go around i will jack it up and give it a good inspection one a month or so. Because it has to have been bad for a while.

Bad engineering
Yea I think so too iv talked to way to many other 2nd gen dodge guys who have the same problem. There has to be a solution tho.
I just cant believe that a part is made so bad that multiple people in multiple trucks wear them out that quickly. There has to be another problem.
Do you think its possible the spindle knuckle is bad on that side causing the failure? Idk how one would go bad but maybe its bent or warped in some weird way? Im just grasping for ideas.

I replaced both in my 95 ram, similar setup to yours. The local napa only had one on hand so I drove 30 miles to oriellys to get the other one. The oriellys one only lasted about 3 months, replaced it with another Napa one and it is still in there after 8 years or so.
What was the brand of the napa one? Was it a "napa" brand part?

Here is a pic of the hub when i was reassembling it, like i said new ball joints new brake hoses lol looks so pretty! To bad it didnt last haha.
Here is a picture of my truck from the other day also this it that land I was looking at.

Screenshot_20190220-080500_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190218-200240_Gallery.jpg

Yea I think so too iv talked to way to many other 2nd gen dodge guys who have the same problem. There has to be a solution tho.
I just cant believe that a part is made so bad that multiple people in multiple trucks wear them out that quickly. There has to be another problem.
Do you think its possible the spindle knuckle is bad on that side causing the failure? Idk how one would go bad but maybe its bent or warped in some weird way? Im just grasping for ideas.
Get with a dealer service or Alldata and see if there a technical service bulletin on this.
(You can also access alldata from home for not too much money if its just one vehicle you want info on.)

Not sure what the problem is, neither does Dodge lol. Sucks going through that work and $$ over and over. I got tired of working on every damned vehicle I owned so I bought a new Ram. I hope they got it figured out lol.
Good luck

Not sure what the problem is, neither does Dodge lol. Sucks going through that work and $$ over and over. I got tired of working on every damned vehicle I owned so I bought a new Ram. I hope they got it figured out lol.
Good luck
I love my ram its been such a great truck. I hate to part with it but it probably dont have much life left in it to be honest. It has 259k miles its starting to smoke and use oil the body and frame is rusted badly. Its on borrowed time haha. I was really hoping to get two more years out of it but it ain't looking good. Lol im looking at something that is against everything I believe in . A Toyota.

Dubob in post 26 made an important statement about torquing halfshaft bolt ! Weight off suspension, use long pry bar against lug studs. Federal Mogul/BCA are the manufacturers of Moog bearings. I install many of them, warranty very few.

Do you guys remember back in the 80's when Chrysler front wheel drive cars where eating wheel bearings for lunch, they figured out that it was a bad ground and the current was running through the axles the bearings the struts to the body! they added a ground strap and that fixed all the problems. I would say check all your grounds engine body chassis look at the bearings and see if any are black (burnt)

I did bearings on a chevy truck at work and it had splines even though it was 2wd. I guess they used the same hub for both.
I have to disagree with the picture shown comment that is not a 2wd hub! Why would a 2wd bearing have splines?

Dubob in post 26 made an important statement about torquing halfshaft bolt ! Weight off suspension, use long pry bar against lug studs. Federal Mogul/BCA are the manufacturers of Moog bearings. I install many of them, warranty very few.
Do you think it could be an issue of overtighten or not enough?

Ok is there any way possible that a bad coil spring, strut, sway bar link, or control arm or control arm bushings could cause it?

I love my ram its been such a great truck. I hate to part with it but it probably dont have much life left in it to be honest. It has 259k miles its starting to smoke and use oil the body and frame is rusted badly. Its on borrowed time haha. I was really hoping to get two more years out of it but it ain't looking good. Lol im looking at something that is against everything I believe in . A Toyota.
it may have blown out the plenum gasket on the bottom of the intake manifold and that's why it's using oil now

it may have blown out the plenum gasket on the bottom of the intake manifold and that's why it's using oil now
I think its been gone for a while it sucks alot of air when first startup. And looses vacuum underload

-
Back