Preparing to do a auto to manual swap

-

dhalla

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm preparing myself to do an 727 to a833 swap. I'm thinking I'll go to the Carlisle swap meet in July and find what I need, however, I was wondering if anyone has any good resources (reading materials) on the parts I'd need, Or if anyone has a bunch laying around, just let me know =]

Buy the whole parts car if you can. Tracking down bits can be difficult. It's easier with the advent of the internet. Have you called brewers?

I saw someone selling a complete setup on one of the Mopar sites on Facebook. Maybe A body Mopars? I'll keep an eye for it.

We can supply a complete pkg, or help you fill in the gaps if you buy a trans-bell-etc.
Thanks.

We can supply a complete pkg or fill in the gaps if you come up with a trans-bell-etc.
Thanks.

Need a pedal assy. Zbar ball stud, zbar, zbar ball stud bracket, zbar bushings, clutch rod, zbar linkage to clutch fork , return spring, need a manual trans floor hump. Your crossmember will work with the 833. also need to make sure you get the pilot bushing situated and trans with correct input shaft. May be others im not thinking of, anyone feel free to add

I would look for the hard parts and buy the wear items from brewers.

Thanks, for all the advise and recs, definitely helps. Anyone know of any threads where someone has documented the process in detail?

In this situation I tell People - you'll make up a hole new set of curse words before all is said and done, but you'll rev-er up side step the clutch - snatch second and never look back !! :burnout:

I collected most everything to change my 69 Dart from auto to 4 speed. I'll probably never get around to it!

In this situation I tell People - you'll make up a hole new set of curse words before all is said and done, but you'll rev-er up side step the clutch - snatch second and never look back !! :burnout:

so true!!!! put the calculator to it, ain't cheap.

finding all the parts in donor car is best, wear stuff from Brewers like said. it can be pieced together but like all mopar stuff, many different varaibles per each model. ( why would they make anything easy!?).... if you go hunting at a big swap, ya better know what you are looking for!

nothin better than banging gears!

If you can find a similar donor car then most of your battle is won.

Brewers is an excellent source for parts and info just don't wear the poor guy out too much without knowing a little bit about the process and parts from doing research.

You're gonna have have to cut your floor and weld in a four speed hump and my advice is
To yes go ahead and cut your trans tunnel so your four speed linkage will clear and then install your trans with shifter and linkage BEFORE you weld in your new 4 spd hump.
There is usually some additional grinding , hammering and tweaking that may need to be done to get your shifter to fit nicely and allow access to the bolts securing the shifter mechanism.
I built a custom console around my shifter to finish it all off nicely.

Using a hydraulic clutch system may make it easier....
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

I forgot to mention my car is a 69 Dart. Someone had mentioned that there may be odd parts depend on years. Should I be concerned?

After doing mine all things said and done this time I'm just gonna call Brewers and get everything from them save your money and time in the long run instead of buying three different parts and none of them work And then calling Brewers to get the right one LOL

Check out my build thread, i did this to my '74 Dart Sport.
Not identical cars, but the process is the same.
You will love it when it's done!

If you do not get lucky and find a decent donor car, CALL BREWERS!!!! They can get you everything you need, and their service does not stop with the sale. I did a 4 speed conversion in my 69 Barracuda about 8-10 years ago for free. I found a 69 Barracuda FB 340 4 speed car on Ebay, and by the time I drove from Topeka, KS to Chicago to get it, I had about $3,000 in it. It was a ROUGH but running 340 4spd console car with a 3.55 Sure Grip. I pulled out all the 4 speed stuff and parted the rest out (it was not worth restoring).I sent the pedal assembly and shifter/shifter handle to Brewers for restoration, and I bought a 4 speed rebuild kit from them. Even after paying out that money and buying a clutch, new flywheel and having the console rechromed, I made a profit.

I'm actually thinking about going the other way & changing from 4 speed to automatic since I already have a 4 speed 79 Z-28. Parades are killer on the clutch !

I've done this to four different automobiles ,two cars ,and two four-wheel-drive trucks. And every time I get done I say never freaking again LOL! But I just love to row the gears. Good luck and don't get frustrated.

-
Back