Presolite dual point upgrade Q

-

RedFish

Reaction score
Anyone ever put electronic ignition components in the cast iron dual point housing ?

Don't know if it helps, but I'm looking at changing an old AMC prestolite distributor to electronic. I found the shaft diameter is the same as Ford. Reluctor slides on the shaft and held in place by a machined groove and roll pin. Not sure how I'll handle the pickup yet.

Pertronix makes a kit for it. I haven't done it, but I am going to. I prefer the cast iron housing.

I bought a Pertronix kit that is supposed to fit my 66 Prestolite dual point dist. but I haven't installed it yet. I may have time this weekend but no promises. toolmanmike

I was hoping to use mopar dist' parts.

I was hoping to use mopar dist' parts.

I'll assume you want to run an external box? Same thing with my AMC project. Nothing against the Pertronix, just looks like more fun this way.

Just some thoughts here, I obtained some junkyard distributors and that's how I found the Ford shaft was the same diameter as my AMC. Only part I plan to be using from the Ford is the reluctor wheel. Body is substantially different. I also had a Mopar distributor in the pile and the shaft is a larger diameter in the Mopar. Body is much closer to the AMC/Prestolite design and I may use the Mopar pickup, but I still have not got to that point. I have been told my AMC distributor is an AC Delco, but it does not have the screw on rotor like I've seen on the Delco and the advance weights look much different. I understand all the common domestic pickups will trigger a box like an MSD, or a GM HEI module, so I don't think electrical compatibility will be a problem. My project is for a '64 AMC 327, so I have no OEM electronic distributors to swap in. You might want to consider sizing your distributor housing bushings for the electronic ignition Mopar shaft. I'm stuck with the original shaft because I have to retain the oil pump drive and cam gear. The Mopar distributor is driven by the slot on the cam gear and is quite different from the AMC and Ford setup. The head scratcher right now is that the Ford reluctor is a larger diameter than the Mopar, or the original points cam in the AMC distributor and that limits the room inside the body for the pickup. Alternative may be to sleeve the Mopar reluctor to fit the AMC shaft. This is going to be a winter project for me. I'll remember to post some pics when I have some progress.

I like the Pertronix setup. Although I'm a big fan of the Mopar electronic system, the Pertronix does not require an external box of any kind. I haven't found an Ignitor III for the dual point yet. Don't know if they make one. That unit has a built in adjustable rev limiter. They are supposed to be real nice.

I like the Pertronix setup. Although I'm a big fan of the Mopar electronic system, the Pertronix does not require an external box of any kind. I haven't found an Ignitor III for the dual point yet. Don't know if they make one. That unit has a built in adjustable rev limiter. They are supposed to be real nice.

Which petronix has the built in rev limiter ? I just changed from petronix to Mopar , might switch back , have been having trouble since the switch . I like the fact the petronix is simple with no external ECU like the Mopar unit

-
Back