Prestolite distributor rebuild

-

dbphemi

Reaction score
Anybody rebuilding Prestolite dual point distributors? I started tearing into the stock one that came on my 340. The bushings are shot and I'm pretty sure the vacuum diaphragm is shot too. Any sources out there for parts? Thanks

Sorry I cant help, but I may end up having to do the same thing.....wont be into it for a while but if I find anything out I will post...

I found a few sellers on eBay selling parts for a small fortune . Anyone know the difference the 67 273 commando 4speed Prestolite distributor and the 69 340 model?

To my knowledge they are the same. What differs between the two is the breaker plate and vacuum. Check out my thread 1965 Dodge Dartcharger.

To make the resto cheaper, buy the bushing and buy a new vacuum and put it all together. The differens can be the travel for the breaker plate.

Impressive resto you have going there. I saw what is supposedly a nos 273 Prestolite distributor for sale relatively cheap online. Another guy has a rebush kit for sale but he wants $90 plus shipping. Seems kinda high to me for 2 bushings and some washers lol.

Found this old thread. What became of your dual point distributor? My bushings are shot, too.

The breaker plate between the 273 and the 340 units are different for sure. The 273 housing is smaller, I believe, and uses "mini points" compared to the 340 ones.

Tag for more info. I was looking into the same thing a while back and found that McMaster-Carr has several bushings that may work. Shaft diameter on my dizzy was a touch less than 1/2" but a 7/16" bushing reamed to a proper dimension would work for a fraction of the cost of the ebay "rebuild kits". May pick up a worn out distributor and play with it to see what will work.

-
Back