Prestolite versus Standard Distributor

-

robodhran

Reaction score
Hi - This is Robert.

I have two 273 engines (180hp 2bbl 1966) and commando hipo (4bbl 1967). The commando engine uses the Prestolite dual point distributor (cast iron - IBP1 - no tag anymore) and the 2bbl uses the single point aluminium distributor (2642234).

I am going to keep and rebuild the commando version but use the former 180 hp block (matching numbers).

I do have the pertronix ignitor II for the one point aluminium distributor and not yet a conversion kit for the Prestolite dual point.

Would it be ok to use the aluminium distributor with the pertronix update on the commando engine, or would you recommend to use the cast iron Prestolite?

Does anyone know the correct Pertronix No. for the 1967 distributor?

On the picture you see the aluminium distributer (one point) on the left and the Prestolite on the right side.

Attachments

• 2015-07-04 18.57.22.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 242
Lots of questions to answer. The single point distributor will drop right in and will work well with the Pertronix kit. If you need to be correct with the Charger/ Commando engine you can use the cast dual point with a Pertronix kit. I did that and it worked well. I will get you the number of the kit for it. I will have to look it up. tmm

the system will work fine with the aluminum housing. the duel point is not that hard to get work good. if you dont know the duel point was to get a longer dwell angle on the coil. the longer dwell angle would let the coil build up more power. one set of points was the close set the other was the break set. most people set them in a machine, while running. i found a way to get the dwell angel right on by setting the point gap very very close to .015". book call out was .017"

Cast iron is a better dist, but "most of this" is the bearings in the advance mechanism. If a single point is in good shape and you cannot get a Pertronix to fit the Prestolite, I'd say single point is OK IF you make sure it has good bushings, or endeavor to rebuild it.

The Prestolite is far more likely to have a "performance" advance curve

Thank you for these great informations and thank you Mike for the Pertronix #.

Robert

Thank you for these great informations and thank you Mike for the Pertronix #.

Robert

You bet. I found that Pertronix doesn't have our dual point listed by application or distributor number unless they have added it lately. I contacted them directly a few times and finally sent my distributor to them so they could match a kit up. It so happens that the kit fits a late 50's Hemi dual point distributor. So it's my fault there's a unit to fit our old dual point distributors. LOL Keep us posted which direction you go and how it works out for you. tmm

i found that if you put a ground wire on the screw on the points the points last longer and make better spark. but the routing is tricky cause to ground the points it has a lot of stuff to go thruo, housing ect.

A good ground is also essential for Pertronix conversion. I use fine solder wick braid for distributor plate grounding.

i found that if you put a ground wire on the screw on the points the points last longer and make better spark. but the routing is tricky cause to ground the points it has a lot of stuff to go thruo, housing ect.

yeah - as you can see on this photo, the points have been grounded (black wire in a line) and lead with the with wire out of the housing (top of pic). Outside it is fixed to the clamp...

View attachment 2015-07-04 17.43.59.jpg

Mike, have you noticed, that you carry the pertronix- # in your "signature" along with your links.. ? :)

Here is the photo of the 1383 kit. seems it does not have the rotor.

I'll decide after holiday, what I will use, since I already have the pertronix kit for the single point aluminium distributor.

Robert

Attachments

• Pertronix 1383.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 136
Mike, have you noticed, that you carry the pertronix- # in your "signature" along with your links.. ? :)

Here is the photo of the 1383 kit. seems it does not have the rotor.

I'll decide after holiday, what I will use, since I already have the pertronix kit for the single point aluminium distributor.

Robert

Yep Robert. I put the number in my sig yesterday. It took me a long time looking through old threads to find the number. tmm

Back from holiday I just ordered the pertronix 1383 for the prestolite dual point distributor and ordered a new rotor with it. :color: Robert

-
Back